Thread: HELP -- does anyone live in New Orleans?

HELP -- does anyone live in New Orleans?

Hi guys, I'm going on a shooting trip to New Orleans on Tuesday for a week, and am having terrible trouble finding anywhere to stay. Is there anyone here you lives in the area who might be able to give me a hotel/motel suggestion? Or maybe a nearby town where there might be something open? Any help or thoughts would be much appreciated.

~cj

Chris - I forwarded yiour info to a few photogrpahers I know who "were" based in NO

tim
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

chris,

Have you tried the Ramada in the French Quarter? They were rumored to have re opened.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Info from one NO based photogrpaher:

"Even if you find a place, hotels are costing about $250 a night. And there isn't much available in Baton Rouge (80 miles away) either. Any chance of renting a mobile home for a week? (I'm not kidding).

There are small towns around New Orleans. Try Hotels.com for Hammond, Covington, Mandeville, Pontchatoula, and Gonzales. All are about an hour from New Olreans."

(emailed direct as well - but sometimes my stuff to you bounces Chris)
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

John K, you da man. I just got a reservation at that Bourbon Street Ramada. Saved me 350 bucks compared to any of the other available places in town. Thanks a ton, and I'll drop your commission check in the mail...

~cj

Call them as you get close to make sure you still have a room. You can get bumped if someone does not check out, or the feds buy up the rooms. They are operating under a governor's order to let people stay who have the room, even if someone else has a reservation. Should not be a problem at this point, but I would want to know before I showed up in the middle of the night.

Are you flying in or driving? What are you up to? I live in Baton Rouge and have been in a couple of times recently. At this point it is very different from the old news reports. The quarter was so crowded Sunday morning you could not find a parking space. The flooded areas are starting have a lot of work being done in them, but mostly basic clean up. We are still in limbo as what will be done with the houses.

I was about to recommend the French quarter ramada. Everyone assumes nothing is open, so hotels that are open apparently are hurting for business.
    What will you be shooting in New Orleans? I live about 2 hours away in Lafayette.

Chris,

How about an update on the NO trip? What did you shoot?