Thread: Meatyard in Tucson

Meatyard in Tucson

I know he is not really a large format guy, but the Ralph Eugene Meatyard show at the Creative Center of Photography at U of A in Tucson is fantastic! At least 100 prints, many of which I had never seen. A great retrospective.

There are also a few other prints in the entryway: old Rejlander, David Octavius Hill, and Lewis Carroll prints, through Weston, and Mapplethorpe, to a really nice big Misrach. A few other photographers make up a really interesting fast forward through photo history.

Mike Lewis

Meatyard in Tucson

What a coincidence. I just returned from Tucson yesterday (I live in Maryland) and while I was there I saw the Meatyard exhibit at the University of Arizona. This was an interesting exhibit but I have to say it's not for everyone; for instance, several of the photographs were of Meatyard's family with one family member wearing a mask of an old crone. I think I just didn't understand. Upstairs at the Center for Creative Photography is a small room containing several small Ansel Adams prints, ones we've seen before: Half Dome, etc. They are all flawless, of course. Also in Tucson at the Etherton Gallery on 6th Avenue is an exhibit of large (40x50) black-and-white landscape photos by Michael Berman. I really liked these. Just my two cents.
    Mike Lewis
    mikelewisimages.com