Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phillips 11x14 camera

Phillips 11x14 camera

Hello, Any one out there have any experience with R.H. Phillips 11x14 cameras? I'm interested in learning more about them. If anyone knows if one is availabe, I would appreciate it. Thanks, Geoff

Phillips 11x14 camera

Christoph Greiner in Germany has an Philips Explorer 11x14 for EUR3425.00. Check out www.greiner-photo.de .

Phillips 11x14 camera

Thanks Izaack, I contacted Christoph and hopefully he still has it. BTW, do you happen to know if the Phillips 11x14 Explorer is a reversible back? Thanks, Geoff

Phillips 11x14 camera

Geoff, the Phillips Explorer models are horizontal-only. You have to flip the whole camera to make a vertical exposure.

Phillips 11x14 camera

Thanks Oren, I was afraid of that!

Phillips 11x14 camera

Lou at PhotoGizzmo has one. www.photogizzmo.com

Phillips 11x14 camera

Thanks for the heads up Ben, I spoke to Lou and he wants big, big bucks for it. More than I think it's worth. I think he's selling it more as a collectable than as a working camera

Phillips 11x14 camera

Geoff - just curious, how many $$$$?

Photo Dilettante Donald Brewster's Avatar

Phillips 11x14 camera

Give Mr. Phillips a call. He may have one around, and he usually has a bead on customers who have a particular model for sale. Worth a call.

Phillips 11x14 camera

Geoff, I purchased the last11x14 Explorer Dick made. The customer that was schedualed to take delivery for it backed out then Dick called me, as I was on his "list" for this model. I also looked into the model Mr. Griener had for sale, way to much money on top of the lousy exchange rate, plus shipping. Call Dick get on the list he has if you are serious.

As you know it is horizontal only, but I find it not that bad. I tilt my beast on its side for these compositions, although it is tedius I don't find myself performing this prcedure unless the subject is something I just cant pass by.

This model is as light as your average 8x10 and I've traveled exceptionally long distances with the camera and tripod assembled on my shoulder. The camera itself is very simple to use and tough, it is essentially made for the field. I wish I would have done more research when I strarted out in large format, I would have purchased one of Dicks models from the start.

In closing when or if you do purchase one of his cameras be it used or new, Dick will answer or try to answer most questions and accomodate you fully. I found him very helpfull, being that I was new to this format. The resale on these are simmilar to a Harley Davidson you rarley lose money.

Good luck