Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Film choice

Film choice

Michael, Please define "success". I have friends who believe in themselves and climb themselves to the top. I have also seen people with the desire, willingness and interest to be successful in what they desire to be or have, but fall each time they tried. Yes, they get better, but not necessarily good enough to compete. Not everyone is cut out to get what they want or be. Try American Idol. Thousands will never make it. William Hung was lucky, people liked him. But soon he's be forgotten. We need to be realistic about what we want. Don't want to sound pessimistic, but sometimes we need to look at ourselves in the mirror. That's the real world to me.

The power of positive thinking? I believe in that, but only if one knows himself.

I wish you well too. We're ok, right?

Film choice

Darr, You'll have to fly thousands of miles to see my work. Wanna bite?

Film choice

Aaron: I guess your saying that you do not have your work posted on line. You could upload a few shots on photo.net or apug.org if you wanted. You have stated that finances are a little scarce for some aspects of your photography, so I am sorry if I have asked for something that you do not have.

Where is a few thousand miles? I am in the Key Largo/Miami Florida area (currently listening to the woes of Wilma).

Film choice

Mr Ng - where those your photographs I saw at MINDS?? There are many wonderful photographers here. You may live in a glass house, no?

Film choice

Darr, What begins as an innocent question about film choice turned out to be loads of unreasonable opinions pounded on me. These are very unkind and frankly, rather arrogant. I do not enjoy having to justify my situation and dislike such senseless exchanges. Occassionally, I do get unpleasant remarks here, but I just get it pass. It is not in my nature to be argumentation and am tired of it all. I will not take the trouble to upload any photographs. I have no ego to justify. I am learning every day to make better photographs and am no master of photography. But that doesn't mean I have to be IMPRESSED with pictures found on notable photographers' websites. I can only say I have a good eye for photographs. If you find my statement bold, I cannot help it. No apologies too. We're all different! This will be my last posting here.

By the way, I can be found in a little red dot, Singapore. Come visit me someday. I'll show you photographs.

Film choice

Aaron: I see that at times there are people on this forum (and other forums in general) that can lean towards personal attacks on others, and I do not like it. But honestly Aaron, it was the statement you made about other photographer's works that I found a little "bold" towards personal attacks. I do enjoy looking at other photograper's works as it helps me grow as an artist, so I was hoping that you would share your work. Oh well, maybe another time.

Film choice

Aaron, I must come down somewhere in the middle, but closer to your side.

It is true, I believe, that from now on as the consumer market shrinks, we are all going to be forced to pay a lot more for analogue photography supples and equipment. No more “free ride” from the economic miracle of mass production.

On the other hand, expensive film and cameras do not make better pictures, especially online. The small fraction of pictorial information which filters through the electronic process onto my computer screen is only a token of what existed on the original print.

I also heartily agree that some famous photographers have achieved success and attracted a trendy following more through their gift of Blarney than from any “art” talent which personally strikes a chord in my heart.

But then, I never really cared for the Beatles when they and I were both young.

Finally, let me assure you based upon many personal e-mails I receive that there is a lot of people reading and learning from posts like yours who do not choose to participate with responses.

For their sake, as well as to enhance the general quality of this forum, I sincerely hope you will continue to participate in spite of occasional slings and arrows. Sadly, not everyone is so civilized and gracious as he might be.

Film choice

I agree with Mr. Cook.

Film choice

This seems to have degenerated enough to permit me to comment ;-)

First a story.

An old gent I met told me that his #1 love interest was Betty Grable, but she wouldn't have anything to do with him. His #2 love interest was Dorothy Lamoure, but she wouldn't have anything to do with him either. OTOH, a lass named Dolly who worked at Woolworth's wouldn't leave him alone.

"What did you do?" I asked him.

"I made Dolly my #1!"

So Kodak Tri-X is your #1 and Ilford FP-4+ is your #2, eh?

FWIW, I don't think the price of sheet film reflects its superiority, but rather it's production costs and profit structure. Any superiority of one film over another, all other things (like quality)being equal, depends on what the photographer does with the film. The most expensive chisels made won't carve a "David" but the most modest tools in the hands of a Michaelangelo will.

True, the difference between a low cost film and a high end film, at least in 8x10, is only something like $1.40---if you multiply that by 50 sheets, going with the lower cost film(nothing in LF is cheap!) will permit you to buy another 25 sheet box plus some left over for paper or chemicals. For a student or hobbyist, thats a lot of stuff that permits a lot of experience building.

True, when I'm shooting a portfolio I'll spring for the high end stuff if it brings something extra to the party thats relevent---like the reciprocity of Tmax 400, or the added speed of Tri-x, or the unique qualities of Efke PL25---but for 95% of my photography 'film ordinaire ' works just great for me.

Aaron's worries about dissappearing film (and film companies) is justified, but IMHO that shouldn't influence his choice. Nothing is guaranteed. Use the best you can afford for as long as you can afford it---(if its still available) This means testing whats out there when your favorite pony has been shot out from under you by them thar hombres at Agfa or Kodak or ??

Theres no way around that, Aaron.

Fortunately you've only got three of the lower cost options to test: Foma, Forte, and Lucky as rebranded by the likes of Freestyle and J and C. Fortunately for you at least two of these films are IMHO very,very nice to work with and I wouldn't be the least surprised if Lucky wasn't more of the same. Fortunately for you both Freestyle and J and C are excellent companys to do business with.

Good Luck!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White