Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Storing images digitally.....

Does Storing images digitally.....

The subject line would not allow the whole question

Does digital storage of images cause the public to not see the evolution of an artists printing style? DOes it cause stagnation.

Here is my opinion and experience.

I was looking at some of the images I worked on a couple of years ago. They were stored on a disk I apparently forgot to label. (I was wondering where they went because I was asked for a print) I looked at the final saved images along side the raw scan. I have to say that they do not represent how I see those same images now.

I also happen to be printing some negs on POP that I did last year. I have printed one of those negs 4 times for different people and kept a copy of each printing for myself. When compared to each other there is a difference. I could see that, even in this short a time, my printing style had changed. It was interesting to see. I kept really good notes and thought I did things the same but obviously not.

This got me thinking. When a person compares AA prints of the same subject they show an evolution in printing style. This is the case with all analog printers, I would assume. This is not the case with those images that are stored digitally and the print button is hit each time a print is to be mad. The printing is taken from the hand of the artist and given to a machine. Are we giving up evolution for ease.

Evolution of subject is not what I am thinking about. I am thinking about the evolution of printing styles.

Evolution of printing styles is just one facet of craftmanship. It's better not seen at all. Most of us could have our work done much better if we weren't too poor/lazy/egotistical (pick one) to have it done by a master printer. The signifcance of St. Ansel's evolution is because he was probably the greatest LF printer of the last century.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Why not just re-scan/re-work a print in Photoshop later on in the evolution of your printing style? Just because you can simply hit "print" and get an exact copy doesn't mean that you can't re-work the photograph. That's a common misconception in the whole analog vs. digital debate.
    Brian Vuillemenot

There are, I think, several factors that change the look of a print over time:

1. evolution of skill,

2. evolution of style (or, subject interpretation), along with

3. evolution of available technology, not to mention the mastery thereof.

All of these apply to both analog and digital production of the print. Personally, I've noticed more evolution in my scanning skills than evolution of vision or printing style in the darkroom.

My modest two-bits (x0) worth , and taking the liberty of drifting from the central posit - if a person looks to his digital images often enough, he forsakes the print and eventually moves to perceive the work largely in terms of digital output. If that is where you want to go, then that's just fine, but don't look back. In my humble experience, there is something about the enlarger and working with the hands that creates something you might forget is possible. Really, I've a very difficult negative that when made 'perfect' with all the digital tools, is still not as good (imho) as the flawed handwork. When I find the time (or get off my butt), I will post visual evidence.

There is a difference, and it may be important, but a person won't know it unless he does the darkroom work. Digital perfection does not make the photograph.

"When a person compares AA prints of the same subject they show an evolution in printing style. This is the case with all analog printers, I would assume. This is not the case with those images that are stored digitally and the print button is hit each time a print is mad."

You apparently haven't printed digitally. Simply storing a disc digitally doesn't mean it can never be changed. Even if it's stored on a read-only disc it can easily be moved to a new file and modified from there. And if it's stored on an external hard drive it can be changed directly from the hard drive. If somebody chooses to simply hit the print button every time a new print is made rather than considering other possible ways of printing it that's a problem with the person, not the medium.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

"if a person looks to his digital images often enough, he forsakes the print and eventually moves to perceive the work largely in terms of digital output"

Could you elaborate on this, I don't understand it. How does one perceive digital images as digital output and forsake the print? When I'm printing digitally I can only look at images in one of two ways, on the monitor and on the paper. Either way, I'm seeing an image, I'm not seeing pixels or bits. In fact by the time I'm able to see my images at all they're analog output, not digital.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be

Brian Ellis (quoting jj) "if a person looks to his digital images often enough, he forsakes the print and eventually moves to perceive the work largely in terms of digital output"
    Could you elaborate on this, I don't understand it.

Thanks for asking, Brian. What I am trying to convey is that a perfectly (dodged, burned, bleached...) photo done digitally is not the same as the manual wetwork version; that the hand shows in the later, and it is something one has to see, to make himself, to appreciate - or NOT (as I am fond to type). Evidence of the hand is not a bad thing. Sure, it is true that we can mimic the 'hand' in a digital rendition, for example trying the same with crude dodge-n-burn in Photoshop, but it is rarely the same at all. Perhaps a fine eye will see the difference - if it is experienced in manual wet work. That's where I live, and believe me, please, that I am an expert digital Photoshop worker on the day-job. That's all.

Thanks for reading this. I will stand on the statement for now. It has been a long day.

Thanks for the clarification, I think I kind of see what you're getting at.
    Brian Ellis

hmm..

Not intended as A vs. D just a comparison. Not sure where you got the AvD thingy from.

Brian, You would be wrong in your assumption. I do quite abit of digital printing. In fact, until I am able to make enough money to send my color work to a wet darkroom I will be using computer imaging on all of my color work. Plus it is really easy to do.

Of course you can rework an image, I am not stupid, the point was would most people? Or do they hit the print button? No hassell in tweaking, no set up, no worry just let the computer do it all.