Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rodinal Alternatives?

Rodinal Alternatives?

Various online discussions about the pending demise of Agfa and in particular the loss of Rodinal have mentioned Photographers Formulary’s version of that developer as an alternative.

My impression has always been that Agfa kept the chemical formula secret and therefore these “imitation” Rodinals were only educated guesses, not exact copies.

So, some questions arise within my little gray cells:

1. Anyone have extensive experience with the Formulary brew, and just how comparable is it? This would, of course, involve various dilution and agitation routines.

2. Would not the “original pre-war formula” Calbe R09 from JandC be a closer match to modern Rodinal?

3. Or is it time to move on to one of the lesser-touted but equally-wondrous potions, such as the FX-1 family, Neofin Blau, FX-39 or (my old favorite) Ethol T.E.C.?

Rodinal Alternatives?

RO9 is the original formula and is somewhat more concentrated. Don`t panic when you open the bottle and it is ink black. Upon dilution, it turns almost the same color. I could not separate the two on final result.

Formulary`s version was reportedly hard to mix by ONE SINGLE person on photonet. Remember there are all kinds of newbies there.

Rodinal Alternatives?

It will be a sad day when they announce the discontinuation of Rodinal. I use it for 90% of my work. I will be interested in hearing if the R09, available from J&C Photo and Photographers Formulary is as good (or better).

Rodinal Alternatives?

"It will be a sad day when they announce the discontinuation of Rodinal."

well, if Agfa actually is going under, closing business by the end of the year, then they have sort of announced it
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Rodinal Alternatives?

"well, if Agfa actually is going under, closing business by the end of the year, then they have sort of announced it"

There was a Simpsons Halloween episode where Bart chastises Homer for the term "Zombies" and says they prefer to be called "living impaired."

Perhaps we should refer to Rodinal not as discontinued, which is obviously an offence term (top somebody out there, I'm sure ), but rather a "sales impaired" or "distributionally challenged" developer.

On a slightly more serious topic, did anybody check out the Photographers Formulary website - thier version of Rodinal - called FORMULARY PARAMINOPHENOL - is already "Out of Stock" and "Temporarily Discontinued" when you actually click on the item itself.

What the heck did all you guys do - go out panic shopping and deplete everything they had in stock? Grrrrrr......

Anyhow, J and C shows their R 09 in stock, but it is liquid form. I dunnow about the rest of you guys, but shipping chemistry - wet liquids - as compared to dry powder is sometiems a pain in the butt. Especially up here in Canada, cross border, in those post 9/11 days - grrr ( again).

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Rodinal Alternatives?

A few years back, a German photographer who sounded like a crotchety old chemist who really knew his business did a thorough critique of the manufacturing history and chemical properties of Calbe R09 on photo.net.

His assertion was that R09 was, indeed, the original pre-war formula for Rodinal.

After WWII, the Western factories of Agfa were taken over by the Allies and retained the “Agfa” trademark. The former Agfa factories left behind the Iron Curtain had to use another trade name.

According to this gentleman, the developer formula as produced in the West was changed in order to reduce the cost of manufacture. Thus the difference between the modern Western version of Rodinal and the original formula, now manufactured and sold as Calbe R09.

He claimed, in great detail, that the original chemical formula remained superior. The cost savings achieved with the new Rodinal took their toll in image quality.

I have no way to validate these lengthy posts, and sadly they seem to have been deleted. This man and the forum moderator got into some sort of pi**ing contest about censorship and his contributions were circumcised.

I am even sorrier that I can’t recall his name. I did send him an e-mail which he most courteously answered, saying that he was getting too old and too busy to waste his time with these moderators. Our loss, I’m afraid.

After all this, however, I see no great improvement nor great difference with personal testing of R09 over Rodinal, other than very slight tinkering with time and dilution.

I believe Calbe R09 is the most logical choice for an identical Rodinal replacement.

Rodinal Alternatives?

If all else fails, you can convert acetaminophen ("Tylenol", or what's called "paracetamol" in Europe or occasionally (n-)acetyl-para-aminophenol, APAP, here in the States) into para-aminophenol in sodium hydroxide solution. I've read a procedure somewhere for making a developer starting with commercial "non-aspirin pain reliever" tablets -- and unlike a meth lab, you'd probably get through six months on a single bottle of the pills. I don't know if it would be possible to extract the (relatively) pure p-aminophenol from the solution, however and it takes something like 12 hours for the reaction to complete in solution, so you'd have to mix your developer the previous afternoon to use it in the morning.

Process here

I wouldn't expect Formulary to be out of stock for too long, though -- they just have to weigh out more packets and fill/label/wrap the boxes, unless they're out of stock on one of the raw ingredients.
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

Rodinal Alternatives?

Does anyone know the shelf life of unopened Rodinal or RO9 film developers?

I think the strategy for anyone wishing to use these fine film developers is to buy a huge quantity. It won't be long before we see both Ilford and Agfa go out of business.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am really sick and tried of seeing film-based supplies and cameras disappear from the market.

I am of the mind to go out and stockpile not only film, but paper and developing supplies knowing full well that such supplies will become increasing more difficult to purchase in the future.

If black and white photography should disappear only to be replaced by digital, I think I will take up painting instead. A least painting supplies are still readily available.

And since I'm having a temper tantrum, why do companies like Kodak and Agfa doggedly hold on to their chemical formulas knowing that they will never produce them again? Why not sell the rights so we photographers can continue shooting?

I think the answer is very clear: these companies don't give a damn about their former customers.

Rodinal Alternatives?

Does anyone know the shelf life of unopened Rodinal or RO9 film developers? [...]

Forever. No kidding. Stock up.

And since I'm having a temper tantrum, why do companies like Kodak and Agfa doggedly hold on to their chemical formulas knowing that they will never produce them again? Why not sell the rights so we photographers can continue shooting?

I rather doubt there are any secrets left to keep. What we need to know is known.

Rodinal Alternatives?

"I rather doubt there are any secrets left to keep. What we need to know is known."

So whats the formula for Neutol WA...?
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog