Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Archival Inkjet Paper - Epson 4800-Black and White

Archival Inkjet Paper - Epson 4800-Black and White

Kokopelli Photo Gloss 260 weight is a decent paper....not as thick as Photo rag 308. What weight would you need? The Kokopelli Gloss is a microporous quick drying paper. I'm not sure how well that would take your pt/pd coatings. I don't use glossy papers much, but this one has been OK for inkjet.

Hey, we are buring the hatchet, how about that?!?..... Thanks for you response, I dont think a quick drying paper would work, it would most likely result in streaks from the coating brush. I would say the paper I use at the moment is about 160 gsm, so a 260 paper would do fine. Any ideas other than quick drying papers?

Thick they are but they have a funky tooth to them

Ah...yeah, no funky tooth for me Mark, I was hoping something had been developed that had a similar look as the traditional fiber papers. Who should I order the sample packs from? Is there any one internet vendor that has them all?

Any of the major internet photo places should have them. I know Calumet carries a big supply of digital papers.

The only other gloss I've worked with is from Ilford. I can't say I'm enthused by that one, but it may work as well. I believe the weight is about 245. Of course, there's always the Epson glossys....someone else might help you with those as I haven't used them.

As to burying the hatchet.....why not. Like you've said......water under the bridge. If you do try the papers, let us know how it works. I'm interested in seeing how your coatings are with coatings in the paper. You might want to research this more as I'm not sure about the interaction between the optical brighteners, your coatings, the RC coatings of the papers, and your exposure to UV to make the print in terms of how this would effect their color & longevity.

Should be an interesting experiment thought.

Jorge,

I haven't seen an inkjet paper that looks like air dried glossy fiber paper. It seems you either get a matte finish or an RC glossy or semigloss. I can live with the RC look for color prints if I don't like the matte's dmax, but I just haven't warmed up to the matte papers for black and white for all my prints. So I still do most of my black and white printing in the darkroom, and some of the color.

I did try an Oriental FB inkjet paper that I thought had promise from the description and I was not impressed. It looked just like an RC paper, and the printer didn't work on it.

Have you tried fixing out old FB paper? I don't think it will work for inkjet, but it may give good results for platinum.

Hey Larry, yes, I have tried coating FB paper, both fixed out and before fixing it. This works well but the success rate is very iffy. Sometimes you get a great print, sometimes you get coating streaks, enough so that coating like this could represent a lot of solution waste.

Ah well, back to the drawing board, but thanks to all anyhow.

"I am currently doing some pre-production testing of the new Crane Museo
    Max which holds great promise."

Kirk, I found time to test my Museo Max samples - this paper looks very very nice

It's in my top two or three

Sharp,

Are your samples double sided? They don't list it as double sided in the reference sheets, but I just realized I think mine is - which would negate the texture comment slightly as one side is slightly less textured than the other.

It gives very nice blacks - in the top two or three of all the papers I've tested.

Best of all for me, it has a very neutral base - which even when using Quad inks doesn't give any of what I term "magentarism" i.e. that slight but unpleasant colour shift in mixed light conditions. It is a very very neutral B&W look
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

http://www.tetenal.com/f_ink_papier_blatt_fineart_uk.htm

Tim,
    I believe the Max is one sided whereas the MuseoII is two sided. I am stoked about this paper. I ran out of my samples and am ordering some more for further testing.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Thanks Kirk - I spoke to the people at Crane - actually it's sort of two sided... The proper coating is on the side with more texture - the back is also coated but only "to help prevent curl" so it's not up to the full standard (I tried the back while I was waiting to hear back from them - only greyscale - I'd say it printed up to about 90% quality - not too bad - but what makes it nice is you can print text on the back - good for small simple artists books or such)

They sent me two sample packs (by mistake I assume...) so I had a few sheets to play with - really like it now.

I also ran a sheet with colour using the Museo Max profile from their site - it was pretty much spot on - really nice colour for a matte art paper

Hope they come along with smaller sheet sizes soon - apparently they are supposed to be eventually

Now I'm waiting for samples of their new "Silver Rag"... - a few manufacturers have tried a sort of "air dried fibre based semi-gloss look" and failed - be interesting to see if Cranes try comes close
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Tim this is what I am getting on my tests

D-max

1.69 - Epson Vel Fine Art

1.67 - Crane Museo Max

1.66 - Crane Museo II

1.64 - Epson Enhanced Matte

1.61 - Hahnemuhle Photo Rag
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73: