Greetings,

I've been researching the archival qualities of inkjet printer paper for black and white printing. I've been told that there is NO glossy or semi-glossy paper that is archival to the standards of a professional photo gallery.

When I had my darkroom, 15 years ago, I preferred the Oriental Seagull Glossy, and that is the look I would like to find in a paper for the Epson 4800 that I own Now, I've tried the Red River Ultra Pro Glossy and really like it, but when I questioned them about achival qualities I did not feel the response was very convincing.

In talking with the good folks at InkJet Mall, I learned two items of interest:
1. Pieziography for the 4800 will not happen till a third party begins manufacture of the cartridges - no time line on that.
2. They state that NO glossy paper is archival. I've got to learn to like the Matt/Rag paper look.

My question to those of you who have been fortunate to be able to break into the galleries; is the statement about NO glossy being archival a valid comment?

If so, have you found anything that comes close to the look of glossy, or even semi-gloss that is well accepted by the galleries?

If not, suggestions for papers I should try to learn to Love?

I'm currently using the Epson K3 inksets - basically the black shades - suggestions for "better" inks?

As always, thanks for your feedback.
Jack