Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Archival Inkjet Paper - Epson 4800-Black and White

Archival Inkjet Paper - Epson 4800-Black and White

Greetings,

I've been researching the archival qualities of inkjet printer paper for black and white printing. I've been told that there is NO glossy or semi-glossy paper that is archival to the standards of a professional photo gallery.

When I had my darkroom, 15 years ago, I preferred the Oriental Seagull Glossy, and that is the look I would like to find in a paper for the Epson 4800 that I own Now, I've tried the Red River Ultra Pro Glossy and really like it, but when I questioned them about achival qualities I did not feel the response was very convincing.

In talking with the good folks at InkJet Mall, I learned two items of interest:
    1. Pieziography for the 4800 will not happen till a third party begins manufacture of the cartridges - no time line on that.
    2. They state that NO glossy paper is archival. I've got to learn to like the Matt/Rag paper look.

My question to those of you who have been fortunate to be able to break into the galleries; is the statement about NO glossy being archival a valid comment?

If so, have you found anything that comes close to the look of glossy, or even semi-gloss that is well accepted by the galleries?

If not, suggestions for papers I should try to learn to Love?

I'm currently using the Epson K3 inksets - basically the black shades - suggestions for "better" inks?

As always, thanks for your feedback.
    Jack

Jack,

My personal favorite for color & B&W work is hahnemuhle photorag 308 or 460. You'll get saturated colors with deep blacks. Now if you like the glossy look, you could always go for a spray or paint on satin or gloss laquer, or a glossy hot or cold press laminate.

I haven't started with the new Epsons or the K3 inks so I can't offer any advice there.

"I've been told that there is NO glossy or semi-glossy paper that is archival to the standards of a professional photo gallery. "

What are the archival standards of "a professional photo gallery?" My last gallery had no standards of any kind, archival or otherwise. When they closed they ran off with my prints.

Paul Roark, who formulates the inks for MIS, has done rough testing for archival qualities of various inks and papers, he might be able to provide you with some information. Wilhelm's home page may have some information also though I'm not sure what, if anything, he's done with black and white as opposed to color.

I prefer matte paper for my black and white prints so I haven't given much thought to glossy and semi-gloss but I thought the main problem with those types of papers has been bronzing and metamerism. Until those problems are solved (and I think Epson has taken at least some steps in that direction with the 2400 et al line of printers) I wouldn't think their archival qualities would matter much to a dealer.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Dave, what density can you get on the Hahnemuhle papers? I find the Epson matte papers to be a bit light for my taste. On Enhanced Matte my 2200 seems to top out at 1.69 with MatteBlack ink.

Wilhelm has been testing and reporting all sorts of combinations for the new K3 printers - print surfaces from matte through glossy for both color and B&W printing.

Here's a link to his most recent results for the 4800:

www.wilhelm-research.com/epson/WIR_Ep4800_2005_09_03.pdf

Doug Dolde

I really like Epson's Ultrasmooth Fine Art paper for black and white. It has a velvety sheen. A bit expensive though.

Larry,

I've had photorag 308 tested at 1.88

I find the figures a bit misleading as unlike silver printing, I don't need to worry about compression on the upper and lower and of the tonal scale. In the end, I sometimes end up with a slightly lower dmax than silver, but a larger usable tonal range. This is what many are finding pleasing. I coat with Lyson print guard or Hahnemuhle protective spray.

Chris Jordan mentions using a satin finish......I'm not sure if that is a laminate, spray, or brush on coating. Are you out there Chris.......what do you use?

For black and white printing on mat papers ( the only way to print ink in my opinion-if you want it to look like silver-print silver) the papers with the most d-max by my testing are as follows. I have tested almost all of the papers that people swear by (including testing Cone's recommendations with Cone museum black inks the other isn't archival so I didn't bother), but most people don't actually test. I don't use a refection densitometer and don't have access to one. I judge by inspection and verify my opinions with others.

1) Epson Velvet Fine Art-nothing I have tested so far comes close to this with UC inks and the Imageprint Rip, including Cone Museum Black inks on any paper.

The next three papres are very close in D-Max but fall in this order of maximum achievable black:

2) Crane Museo II has slight edge over others but a dull white because they use no brighteners. This makes it more archival.

3) Epson Enhanced Mat-unfortunately yellows quickly because of the brighteners but makes a great proofing paper for VFA or short term exhibition, because it has the exact same coating as VFA.

4) Hahnnemule Photo Rag there are many better papers for b&w but it is unsurpassed for color gamut.

I am currently doing some pre-production testing of the new Crane Museo Max which holds great promise.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

" I coat with Lyson print guard or Hahnemuhle protective spray."

Nothing killls a good d-max like a protective spray. To me it ruins the blacks-at least on mat papers.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"