Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Agfa: another one bites the dust

Agfa: another one bites the dust

Apparently, it's over for Afga Film. Their plan for retructuring failed and they are now being liquidated. Operations should be over by the end of the years. Some parts of the business might be bought by some other companies, but there is nothing sure at the moment.

Of course, Agfa film didn't produce LF film any more, but some will probably regret Rodinal, their papers and some other goodies. At the very least, I will.

I'd heard they were dropping medium format -- can you post a reference for their complete liquidation?
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

http://www.worldofphoto.com/meldung.htm$N18223
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Noooooooooooo!!!

There goes my silver paper......... last month a bear demolished two of my cameras and now this... sheesh... I'm ready to bite the dust myself.... : )

At least be thankful Photographers' Formulary carries its version of the Rodinal formula.

I'm curious....does anyone here know if Tura is part of the Agfa family?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

John,
    Tura is not part of the AGFA Family, but was a Distributor of AGFA Materials. AFAIK, Tura is not producing film and paper themselves any more for years now. They may still be producing color chemicals.

Will this affect Agfa's strong prepress division?

Thanks Thilo. Its sad to see "Big Red" go.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

It's always sad to see a former major player in the traditional photography business disappear. With Kodak dropping b&w paper I guess now it's either a third world company or Ilford. I hope Ilford makes it but I have my doubts.

On a much more local note, I recently photographed with color film for the first time in about 10 years and had it processed by what was a big lab back when I used color film. In those days (as recently as 1995) the place was a madhouse - phones ringing off the hook, counter clerks taking orders and delivering film and prints, customers all over the place, tech people out front helping customers, cash registers buzzing, etc. When I dropped off this batch of color film there was exactly one person behind the counter, the owner. The computers and cash registers were all still sitting there but nobody was using them. I was the only customer and there was total silence everywhere. Very sad.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.