Thread: Nose Grease on Negatives

Nose Grease on Negatives

OK, which of you have the sand to admit you turn to a dab of the old nose oil when a stubborn scratch ruins the neg you are trying to print?

I really miss the romance of the traditional darkroom. Any other disgusting darkroom tricks worth sharing?

Nose Grease on Negatives

Are you kidding? I learned that in 1966 from a lab pro. And I recently printed a negative from just that year that I'd done the nose grease thing on. It's still okay.

But you have to admit, it's one thing to Nose Grease (hereafter, NG) a 35mm negative than LF. We'd dry out and blow away greasing an 8x10.

Nose Grease on Negatives

if the nose grease runs out, try some forehead grease, or temple grease, or neck grease, maybe ask a loved one for some...

Nose Grease on Negatives

I also learned that trick working at a pro lab. Hey, whatever works...
    There is a product called "no-scratch" that does the same thing (at $10/ounce) if your nose isn't big enough.

Nose Grease on Negatives

Big difference is, Edwal No-Scratch evaporates cleanly off the negative after a while, instead of being there until you get a PEC-pad and clean it off...
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

Nose Grease on Negatives

Probably the most disgusting thing I did (30 years ago) was paint gooy rubber cement on selected parts of a print and then run it through sepia toner. Rubbing off the cement while trying not to pull the emulsion off gave me the willies. I was too poor to buy the product made for this technique. Now in photoshot I can color small details any color I want (and not get high on the fumes).

Nose Grease on Negatives

Does nose grease hurt the longevity of film?

Nose Grease on Negatives

Frank,

An old-timer once taught me the nose thing, too, and I've used it on 35mm black and white, but never large format film.

multiplex

Nose Grease on Negatives

i was told by someone trained in the 30s " never from the nose, always from behind the ear"
    and when the governor's 5x7 formal portrait fell to the darkroom floor ( out of my fingers )
    i needed the "good stuff" from behind both ears ..

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Nose Grease on Negatives

It's a standard lesson in my high school class; once a year I have each student bring me a 35mm negative strip they don't care about and I scratch the heck out of it rubbing it against a brick wall. They get to print it before and after the grease; the results are pretty impressive. We use a commercial white grease though, as the kids go "ewww, nasty!" if you tell them to use nose grease.

Hint: don't try nose oil if you wear make-up, (it happens with female students.) Maybe that's when you go behind the ears.

The closest equivalent I've found in Photoshop is wiping a booger on the monitor screen...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."