Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your opinion on two view camera's books

Your opinion on two view camera's books

Stroeble's book is for the tech heads who want to know the why behind everything they do. Steve's is more practical and day to day. It is what I recommend to new people. Plus it has one of my images in it!
    Jim Stone is a great guy and knowledgeable photo professor here and is actually a friend of mine but I have never looked at his book.

Once the film supply issues level out, all of these books could use an update in terms of current materials. But this forum is probably the best sourse for up todate info on LF films etc. anyway.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Marck:
    I own all three books (Stone, Simmions, and Stroebles. They are all good. The first two that I listed are really what you need to get going. Stroebles is more of a reference book. You can probably find all three books used on ABEBOOKS at much more reasonable prices.

Good Luck
    Jerry

Firsly, I totally agree with commending this forum. I gave up reading others quite a while ago, and thoug h I went quite a few months without keeping up-to-date here, I find it quite enjoyable and informative.

I own both the Simmins and Stroebel books, and both are used as colleges texts for LF.

Steve's (Simmons) book is very good for the basics, but includes some advanced information also. For many people, I think it tells you all you need in one book on LF. However, I tend to be a very technical type, and have found Stroebel's book to be very very helpful, especially with the more in-depth explanations and technical formulas and whatnot.

I would recommend (though this is not what I did) starting with Simmons' book and then buying the bigger one if you find that you need it. Also check ebay and the used book sites for Stroebel's, as it is quite expensive and I personally don't mind having someone else's highlight marks in a book.

Marck,

I also side with the Jim Stone book... much, much easier to read than the Stroebel book. The Stroebel book, IMHO, is far, far more detailed than "I" would ever want. Personally, I found it to be a fairly difficult book to read!

Another book you might enjoy reading/seeing is the Jack Dykinga book. His book contains real life situations and the movements used in order to record that particular image on film.

I also found the Sinar Handbook a good one to read. As Ralph said, "there are little pearls of wisdom in every book..."

Steve Simmon's book is fairly straight-forward and will give you as much information as you need to go out and shoot.

Another book (I've not read it yet) is the book put out by Deardorff. It's called "Corrective Photography." The downside to this particular book is that it's very costly (US$200 - 250.00)

Last suggestion - go to the library and look at what's available. Then, after exhausting that option... make your choice(s).

Good luck in making your decision.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

I actually got my LF intro from Les Stroebel at RIT back in '73 or so, thus I'm partial to his book. OTOH, it's pretty dry, and the others might be an easier read. IMO, once you understand the basics, you'll rarely if ever refer to the books again. LF movements are not rocket science.

Dave Karp

I have all three books. Each has its place. The Stone and Simmons books are great introductions. Each has some things that are better than the equivalent section in the other book. Both are really good for someone getting started. As mentioned, the Stroebel book is dry. It has lots and lots of information. Some of it you will probably never need.

None of the books compare camera models/brands. If you want that, this forum and the lfphoto.info site are the places to look.

You may want to read Ansel Adam's "The Camera" as well. Granted it is a bit dated, but it contains sections on image management (honing you ability to compose photographically) that may help develop your mindset for seeing, definitely appropriate for view camera usage.

Thanks for all the insights. Maybe I should have had specified that I'm not exactly a beginner and that I currently own a Linhof setup. What I'm currently wondering is if I should stuck with the brand and just upsize, stuck with technical cameras in general, or perhaps switch to wooden. In all cases, another question is "should I keep the smaller camera anyway, or would it get unuseful"?

Thanks for all other suggestions. I've read "The Camera" long time ago. All other titles are not imported here and I think I don't have nerves enough to go through the duties things again :-( I performed wide readings over the internet, but eventually persuaded myself that I should have my mind well made up before taking any step. No offense intended to anyone here, but I've seen that when it comes to general camera comparisons, it's a mess. Some people tend to report second-hand (mostly wrong) information, some can't refrain writing marvels of the sole camera they've ever owned, others just drift suggesting - say - rail cameras when you've asked about technicals. Add to that people with knowledge just too kind to write "shut up" and voila', the poster's mind is all messed up.

I'll sure be back, if my mind will clear up in the future. Rest assured I'll have a lot of specific, EXTREMELY PICKY questions for you guys. In the meanwhile, considered that I'm a physics graduate and not frightened by formulas, will try Stroebel's. Knowing myself, however, I will not pass Simmons' for very long. It'll probably be on my bookshelf short after the next payday... ;-)

Regards - M.

I find that Stroebel is good for grabbing, reading a few pages and then putting it down again. More beginner type books like Simmons are great at the start of your learning, but I doubt you'll touch it again once you're off the ground.

Stroebel will always be an interesting read for me ....

I started with Simmons' book, then complemented with Strobel. Bought the first, borrowed the second from the library.