Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your opinion on two view camera's books

Your opinion on two view camera's books

Gentlemen,

first let me congratulate once again for the politeness with which conversations are held on this forum. It is, so far, the very last that I still read with pleasure on occasion.

I am on an upgrade-do not upgrade debate with myself, and I understand that I need further readings on what it is available on the market, and side-by-side comparisons not (too much) affected by personal tastes or biased by "one-camera-men"'s opinions. I see that I can have the two following books shipped at my local bookstore:

View Camera Technique

Stroebel, Leslie D. ; Focal Press

Using the View Camera

Simmons, Steve ; Watson-Guptill Publications

As far as I recall from previous posts, the first is considered some sort of Bible, whose reading is recommended to everyone. Do I recall correctly? What about the second, though? I understand that Mr. Steve Simmons writes here now and then. Does anyone have the book? Is it some sort of beginner's guide, or does it have a HUGE section of side-by-side products review as well? Does it EXPAND some concept skipped by the first, or it is overwhelmed by the first instead?

Thanks a lot. Of course I would like to buy both, but unfortunately they're both not exactly cheap.

Home - Jakarta Indonesia. Live wherever I am posted.

Marck,

Steve Simmon's is more reader friendly.
    If you are the type that does not want to dwell to deeply into techniques and concepts, and just want to as quickly master the camera and shoot pictures, then Steve Simmon's is your book. But, if you are the type that wants to study the concepts and elaborate techniques, then Leslie Strobel.

Depends on what type you are.

cheers,
    UT

In the last 6 months I researched and narrowed my choices down to the same two books. I purchased View Camera Technique/Stroebel as I felt the one book would go as deep into the topic as I ever wanted, yet I could just pick the sections I wanted through understanding of.

I've been very pleased with that choice, and I found it dramatically cheaper listed on Amazon that my local book store.
    Jack

I have them both and have read them both.
    If you want a book that will get you started fast and give you all the practical information you need, I would go with Steve Simmons' book. The other one is more theory-heavy and not as easy to read.

There are no product reviews in Simmons book. There are no product reviews in my copy of Stroebel's book either (previous edition). The Stroebel book has some side by side spec comparisons (my older edition does), but those are not reviews.

They both read like wood. I much prefer A User's Guide to the View Camera, Third Edition (Paperback)
    by Jim Stone.

I've read both as my LF intro and I would say that they are both useful, the Simmons book being the best one to start with, and with well-written descriptions of "how to" make the photos he shows. Good inspiration for the LF beginners like me.

Steve Simmons is a regular contributor here, if that means anything to you

Buying just one book on a subject is somewhat like buying just one sheet of film. ;-)

IMHO, there are little pearls of wisdom in every book that usually make the cost of purchase worthwhile.

What equipment do you want to upgrade? Lenses? Cameras? Tripod? Lightmeter? Loupe? Holders?

Steve Simmons' book 'Using The View Camera' deals in part with assembling a basic LF kit from the standpoint of what to look for in new and used components but its not a 'consumer reports' type book. If you're already shooting sheet film, you're already 'there.' If you're just starting, Mr. Simmons' book will get you 'there.'

All I recall about the Stroebel book is that its loaded with theory and technique.

Niether strike me as being what you say you're looking for.

IMHO, if you want ideas on upgrading your equipment, your best resource is right here. See what 'users' have written in the archieves and ask for comparisions from those who have travelled that path before. If $$$ is an important consideration you might even discover options you weren't aware of.

Good Luck!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Scott Davis

I've got the Steve Simmons book, and it is very helpful when it comes to techniques - his illustrations are very clear, and his explanations of those illustrations are very straightforward. What little he does go into equipment (particularly film discussions) is out-of-date, as the book has not been re-written in some time. If you are looking for information about specific equipment, View Camera Magazine, this forum, and the Large Format forums on photo.net and apug are good places to look and/or ask questions.