35mm - 13 MP
35mm - 17MP

MF Dig - 16MP
MF Dig - 22MP
MF Dig - 39MP

MF 6x7 Film

LF 4x5 Film

LF 8x10 Film

The graph below shows the max. final print resolution for 8" print (you can interpolate upwards) with many variables taken in consideration. I set up 5 scenes of varying DOF, ranging from the far left block of 35mm shooting at f2.8, the next scene 35mm required f4, the next scene 35mm required f5.6.... and finaly f8. Each format, according to film/sensor diag. had a proportional increase in f stop vs. the 35mm, which was the starting point since it's the smallest format. The f stop increase is indicated in the legend. For example, the second block from the right shows f stops at....

8/11/16/32/64

f8= 35mm full frame
f11 = MF Digital, 1.5x fstop of full frame 35mm
f16 = MF film 6x7, 2x fstop of full frame 35mm
f32 = LF film 4x5, 4x f stop of full frame 35mm
f64 = LF film 8x10, 8x f stop of full frame 35mm.

All these f stops produce the same DOF, as the lens fl increases for each format.

The final block to the right, which is an infinity scene, whereas each format was shot at its optimum f stop.

It is interesting to see just how superior 45 and 810 is when shot at infinity. (or a flat wall) It is equally interesting to see how MF 6x7 rivals 4x5 in extreme DOF scenes. (Which puts LF lenses and RFB in no-mans-land) Here is some notes regarding the graph....

1. All formats reduced to digital file, so scanner efficiency taken into consideration for film.

2. MF, 6x7 was based on high end MF cameras / lenses. I used Mamiya M7 tested results. This is quite different then using RFB using LF lenses / view cameras.

3. Digital values used based on testing and makers specification sheets.

4. This graph represents color images only, not B&W, in which case, B&W film would excel over digital to a greater extent.

5. LF assumes relatively newer sharper lenses using sharp color chrome films, no negs.

http://www.pbase.com/image/50899836

Anyway, I thought this may interest some.....