Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deardorff Excitment!!!!!!!!!

Deardorff Excitment!!!!!!!!!

I am Soooooooo Happyyyyyyyyyyy having just received my V-8 in the mail today. It is old, it is well used, and in need of new bellows or at the least a temporary patch job, BUT...........it is so exciting. I had previously purchased an extension box with a packard shutter and now have the V-8 to go with it. It not only has the 8x10 back (although missing the ground glass), but a 4x5 back too! This is actually my 3rd 8x10, (a Korona & a Kodak 2D 8x10 w/ 4x5, 5x7 & 8x10 backs)but it is truly the one which has brought a big smile to my face. OH NO! The Boss/Better Half has just walked in and she has told me my "extra" and nonessential LF "goodies" which have been acquired over the last 2+ years must go to off set the expenses of this addiction. Oh, so true, but LF rehab is cheaper than other alternatives! Keep an eye on APUG classified ads! Take care all! I truly have enjoyed my learning curve, albeit expensive, on this forum and hope it continues for many years to come! LONG LIVE FILM!

Photo Dilettante Donald Brewster's Avatar

Just wait until she sees the 11x14 Deardorff next year . . . .

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

Congratulations. Personally I've found LF to be additive like crack... only more expensive.
    -Rob Skeoch

Long live old V8's! Sure they guzzle gas but you don't have to put up with so many smog devices. Flatheads Forever!

o, was this post about a camera? oops, sorry.

"Congratulations. Personally I've found LF to be additive like crack... only more expensive".

No kidding. Crack MUST be cheaper...8x20/11x14 film, Azo,Amidol, road trips. What the heck is an addict to do? Only way I know to kick the habit is to hit the road and keep shooting. I could always sell a print now and then (denial)?

-Bruce

Bruce, If you think that's expensive wait until you get addicted to pt/pd. I always wait until I'm half way through a bottle of beaujolais before I call my order into Kevin at B&S. Eases the pain a little.

Just got my 8x10 Deardorff last week. Already addicted!

Congratulations!

However, don't throw away that old bellows before you try to repair it. Use a flashlight inside the bellows to find the light leaks and dab the leaks with black 'Liquid Tape' by Performix corporation. I bought mine at an auto parts store. It works great! And isn''t sticky when dry. Put it on lightly and apply multiple layers if needed.

Keep an eye open for bargain sheet film holders and keep your holders clean... use anti-static bags to store your holders in at all times. Let me know and I will send some of my extra bags to you. Believe me when I say that nothing will break your heart like a beautifully exposed negative of a great subject with dozens of dust blemishes permanently burned into the film. This is the one piece of advice I wish I had had when starting out.

Ed

Far too late for that Robert. I am into a batch of Ziatype. Hooked for good on both Azo and "the dark side". Looks like another trip to the pawn shop.

-Bruce

Donald, Are you the one who ordered the 11x14 from jack deardorff through midwest photo a few months ago?