Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: preferred horseblanket darkcloth alternative

preferred horseblanket darkcloth alternative

"It amazes me how in the world
    photographers such as Adams and Weston ever made a decent picture without
    all these new high tech gadgets......sorry but I can't help laughing."

Since when has the skirt (or kilt if you want to remain macho) been hi-tech as compared to the horseblancket...?
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

David, I actually own a BTZS along with a regular darkcloth (with velcro), and I prefer the t-shirt, which I came upon last, through advice on this forum. I'm spreading the word: any of you folks who happen to own a t-shirt, why not give it a try?

For my 11x14 I bought some aluminized nylon from Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics (owfinc.com) @ $9.70/yd and constructed a tube that is 72" in diameter (IIRC ) and 58" long (the width of the fabric). I sewed a loop on one end to hold a drawstring that fits over the rear of the camera. It is very lightweight material and to use it I just slip one end over the rear box and tighten the string and then throw the rest of it over my head and shoulders. It is loose enough and oversized enough that I can easily withdraw an arm from the tube to focus or adjust movements without stray light entering. It also compresses to a smaller size than a standard darkcloth. It is by far the best darkcloth I've ever used. I even use it with my smaller 5x7 camera and it works equally well. An added bonus is that it makes a nice reflector or subtractor (reversible silver/black) should the need be there once the camera is focused.

...a tube that is 72" in diameter...

Oops. The tube isn't that large. It is 72" circumeference, not diameter to fit around the back of the 11x14. Sorry.

To the two ply Gortex material that I mentioned in my previous post. The little woman sewed the black silk to the inside as a liner. in between the two materials she sewed a 6 inch piece of heavy elastic ( on the camera back end) also bought from the same place. Instead of velcro fasteners she sewed in their place strips of magnetic material a little thicker than the stuff you see on your frig ( you know, fridge magnets) in between the gortex and the silk also along the leading edge out on the ends (the part that goes around the camera back). I never liked the velcro sticking to my gloves or what have you and always getting gummed up with something or another. The magnets work like a charm and hold well. It's a little more than just a horse blanket but not by much. the magnets are 6" long and 3/4" wide x 3/16 thick. I made them this long for more holding power but I think 3" of magnet would have been sufficient. I also added magnets a little farther down the edge to close the cloth around me once inside but I seldom use it unless it's flapping in the wind. If I needed total light-tightness when I'm focusing I'd just give up photography.

The little woman just brought to my attention that she also sewed two little pockets on the opposite ends to accept quarter size flat washers the kind you find in your tackle box so weights can be used as an option for holding the cloth down in the wind. As I said before I've been using dark clothes for mmmuuuuuph years and she has made probably the best I have ever used. and if it rains, sure I can use it for a cape but I'd much rather throw it over my camera and secure it untill the rain passes. Gortex is a great material and you won't be soaking wet from sweat after you come out from under it. It breaths very well.

i use a black skirt .25 in a thrift store take your camra in for the fitting

Adversity builds character. It's like when Curly starts frantically yelling "I can't see, I can't see" and Moe asks why not and Curly replies, "I got my eyes closed."

If too much light is getting under your cloth just close your eyes.