Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: preferred horseblanket darkcloth alternative

Scott Davis

preferred horseblanket darkcloth alternative

What do people prefer as their alternative to the old horseblanket? I'm looking for a new focusing bag/hood type thing to replace an inexpensive thing I got on ebay that has an elastic band on one end and a slit for the hand to come through with a loupe. It works ok in my studio, but out in the field it creates several problems - it isn't dark enough inside (the fabric isn't heavy enough) and the slit for you to stick your hand through is too big so it lets in too much light and causes glare on the ground glass.

I've looked at the BTZS hood and a competitor who also sells on Ebay - the competitor's hood is silver on the outside, not beige, but that's about the only real difference I can see. Has anyone bought either of these and do they have a preference?

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

I use the BTZS hoods, in both 4X5 and 8X10 size. I find them much preferable to a focusing cloth- they stay in place much better, and thus provide a darker environment. You can even use them when it's windy out (within limits, of course!). They are a little on the pricey side, however, and get real hot inside when it's hot out!
    Brian Vuillemenot

Doug Dolde

Black polar fleece sweater. The neck hole fits a 4x5 back pretty well.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Wal-mart.

Bath towel.

Terry cloth, cotton. Usually around $6 to 9$.

If you need something bigger, get a bath "sheet". If you want something really *fancy*, wait until Sears or Target put their Egyptian cotton bath towels on sale half price. Not any darker, just feel nicer when you mop the sweat off your forehead on a hot day.

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

I sewed my own out of rip stop nylon. I used two layers of black and one layer of white (to reflect heat). I sewed velcro near the front edge of the cloth and attached the other half of velcro to the front of the camera (top and sides). I also sewed a piece of copper wire into the front of the cloth so that I can shape the wire to hold the front edge of the clothe as a lens shade. The velcro keeps the lite weight fabric on the camera even in a strong wind. And the rip stop also protects the camera if it starts raining.

I bought a 2 ply gortex material. white on one side and black on the other. I lined it with a very opaque black silk. It's light weight, waterproof and breathable. Best dark cloth I've ever used

Robert, where do you get 2 ply gortex material from?

If you listen to photographers who have tried both the "rectangle of material" option AND the "some elastic involved to keep light from coming in from below" variety,

. . . I don't think you'll find very many who went from the latter back to the former. Enough said.

I use BTZS over BlackJacket because I'm constantly getting out from under the darkcloth and the sleeves would be cumbersome, but YMMV if the light-tightness is more important than quick escape. But again, either of those two options will be far more light-tight than the square horse-blanket, regardless of whether the HB is made of silk, goretex, or any other material.

Wilbur, Rockywoods Outdoor Fabrics. They're in Loveland, Colorado. Phone# 970-663-6163