Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Enlarging Lenses

8x10 Enlarging Lenses

Is a 240mm Componon or Componon-S viable for 8x10 enlarging? Does it have sufficient image circle? I don't have enough headroom for a 300mm, so 240mm is the next option down for a Componon-S. There's nothing I can find published on the Schneideroptics site on enlarger lens recommendations, image circles, etc.

Has anyone used a G-Claron 240mm lens for enlarging? Or an Apo-Nikkor process lens f10 wide-field? If so, with what success?

8x10 Enlarging Lenses

The 240 Rodagon did cover 810. But it is an awfully large mounting thread so won't fit all enlargers.

8x10 Enlarging Lenses

I found something on the SchneiderOptics site after all under FAQ.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/faq/photo_enlarging/

I see that Rodenstock also has something:

http://www.prograf.ru/rodenstock/enlarging_en.html#table1

Both recommend the 240mm for 8x10. Still wonder about people's actual experience with use, though.

Bob, Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. I'm using the Zone VI Type II, which allowed for some pretty large optics.

8x10 Enlarging Lenses

Schneider has the recommended formats of their enlarging lenses on the individual datasheets, available from
    http://www.schneideroptics.com/photo...oto_enlarging/.
    Rodenstock has a PDF file with specs of all their enlarging lenses at http://www.linos.de/en/prod/index.html.
    The 240 mm Compon-S and Rodagons are rated to cover 8x10, but the 210 mm versions are not.
    Nikon doesn't have data for their longer lenses on the web (short ones are at http://www.europe-nikon.com/category...d=22&catId=152), -- paper brochures show El-Nikkors to follow the same pattern: the 240 mm is rated to cover 8x10, the 210 mm is not.

8x10 Enlarging Lenses

neil,

I have a 240 G Claron and yup, you can use it for enlarging but at f/9 it is uncomfortably dim to work with and verrrry slow at f/16. I prefer a faster lens---a coated f/5.6 229mm Ilex Copy Paragon I picked up for forty buck somewhere---its a big, honkin' lens but fits my Elwood's lensboard. No complaints.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Eric Woodbury

8x10 Enlarging Lenses

I'm using a 210 mm El Nikkor. Covers 8x10, at least at smaller print sizes. I know others using it too.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

8x10 Enlarging Lenses

I too am using the 210 El Nikkor for 8x10 printing up to 20x24. I have a dimutive Kodak 10" f8 that does a fine job too.

Cheers,

8x10 Enlarging Lenses

Exactly how BIG are you printing? And color or B&W?

Componons are amazing glass, but for 8x10 B&W, there are many many older processes lenses which will work just as well, and be a lot easier on the budget. Check out some of the Wollensak lenses. You'll also find a wider range of lens lengths.

8x10 Enlarging Lenses

Another vote for the 210 El Nikkor. I was intending to use it only for 5X7 but tried it with 8X10 and it is sharp edge to edge. I am not currently set up to print larger than 16X20. The APO Beseler f:9 240's (made by Rodenstock, I think) are very reasonably priced and work very well although some find them theoretically insufficient.

8x10 Enlarging Lenses

An apo nikkor will cover fine in 240 or 210. Don't forget that you are doing an enlargement of 1:1 or more so they will have plenty of coverage. I remember an AA documentery where he was demonstrating burning and dodging a print. Sure enough, he had an apo nikkor on his enlarger. You can pick them up in that FL for less than 100$, although there aren't as many as there was a few years ago.