Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to clean a lens?

How to clean a lens?

Hello,

Iīm just about to start with LF and now my first lens was shipped (Schneider Geronar 210mm, was a display model). It looked perfect beside a finger print on the glas inside.
    So I tried to clean it: first only with a microfiber cloth and a Anti-static Tiger Cloth (Kinetronic) but there were wiper traces. I also tried to use a small amount of lens cleaning solution but it didnīt help.

Iīm a bit afraid I could have damaged the lens.
    What is the best way to clean a lens?

I would appreciate if you could help me with your experience.

Regards, Mareike

How to clean a lens?

Sorry, the lens is a Rodenstock Geronar.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

How to clean a lens?

http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/white_papers/lens_cleaning.pdf

How to clean a lens?

Vodka!

Have a glass while trying to decide what to do next, then another glass after you've nearly convinced yourself that cleaning 'whisps' won't have any noticeable effect anyway. Have a third glass to celebrate all the money you'll save by buying used lenses with cleaning 'whisps.'
    Resist the temptation to polish off your vodka---keep some around for cleaning your lenses ;-)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

How to clean a lens?

First blow of debris with a hand blower. Brush off any more with a hand brush. Then attack it with proper cloth and fluids.

Attempting to polish a new clear coat car, plexiglass window, or camera lens without first removing solid debris will result in scratches to the finish, Even dust will act as abrasive grits.

I use microfiber cloths or old linen or cotton cloths that have been washed 100 times. Put fluid on the cloth, never on the glass as it can run inside.

Always use gentle pressure to minimise the chance of scratching. Keep the cloths in a sealed plastic bag when not in use. If they get dirty from the atmosphere, you can rub the dirt into the lens.

Finally clean as little as possible. Blow off what you can and stop. Needless scrubbing does more damage than good.

Finger prints are made of acid deposits and will etch into the glass if left long enough, so clean these or better yet, don`t touch the glass.

Then there are uv filters for those just can`t be careful. I see little degragation from them on large format work.

How to clean a lens?

I use Methanol - dries without a trace. I don't remember where I got that from, but I've been using it for years now. For source, McMaster-Carr. $12 for a quart, 16 for a gallon to last a lifetime.

blanco_y_negro

How to clean a lens?

Doesn't methanol harm the coating on the lens?

How to clean a lens?

Outside of actual debris, I only clean fingerprints and sea spray immediately. Cleaning the small wipe marks, especially on the softer coatings of older lenses (1960s - 70s era) can make things worse.

How to clean a lens?

Also, the "Lens Pen" is very good for hard to clean oily smudges. I even used it on a $2500 Leica lens, but not without a moment of heart wrenching angst.