Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Protecting lenses while backpacking

Protecting lenses while backpacking

After hiking up to The Enchantments in Washington's Alpine Lakes Wilderness Area, I noticed a scratch on the coating of one of my lenses. I pack my lenses in ripstop bags and wrap them in the dark cloth. This lens has a plastic cap that doesn't fit tightly. It came off somewhere during the rugged 4500 foot elevation gain and the metal end of the cable release must have rubbed up against the lens. What do you backpackers use to protect your lenses? I am not looking for a recommendation of a dedicated camera backpack. I need something that will protect my gear in a pack full of all the other stuff for a three day hike. Thanks

Check out the LowePro lens cases - they are padded, zippered and water resistant. I carry a Ziplock bag in each lens case for extra protection from water should things turn sour. Be careful not to trap moisture in the watertight Ziplock; I also carry silica gel.

I've always wanted to go to the Enchantments in the fall when the larch have turned - not looking forward to the Aasgard Pass approach though.

Thanks Eric,
    I checked out the LowePro website and couldn't find 4x5 lens cases. I hike with a Sinar, so I need something to protect the lens while it's mounted on the lensboard.

BTW, I hiked up to Snow Lake and camped there, thus missing a 65 mph rain/snow storm. One guy who passed me on the way up camped at the Enchantments and in the middle of the night lost his rain fly. He said the rain was blowing right through his tent. I then went up the next day for a day of shooting. Well...a little shooting and a lot of waiting for the gusts to die down. But the Tamarack (Larch family) were blazing flames of yellow!

jadphoto

Hi,

I too backpack, day trips though, with a Sinar and the large boards can be a problem. I use MC pouches and they work quite well. The top flaps close with velcro and they have a size that fits Sinar boards perfectly. I bought mine at Samy's in Santa Barbara but Calumet stocks them as well.

I have also thought of getting a Sinar/Linhof board adapter and putting all my lenses on Linhof boards to save some space. If I were overnighting I would definetly do so but for my day hikes it seems like to much expense for too little benefit.

Where is the Wilderness Lakes Area? My wife and I are planning to visit Rainier next summer.

Joe D

Here is just the offering from one brand. Others, like Opti-Pro (or something like that) make them as well. The only trick is figuring out which size to purchase for each lens:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=search&Q=&shs=lens+wrap&ci=1&sb=ps&sq=desc&fi=all&iso=Y

I use the lens wraps like Dan mentioned, but have been looking into the multi lens cases from Gnass Gear. I have several friends with them, and they love them. Also, a similar product, but cheaper and a little less padded, is from Outdoor Research. Good luck!

Gnass Gear

OR case from REI

i'll second what brent said. i previously used cases from outdoor research, but recently decided to stop messing around with low-price substitutes and just buy the best... GNASS. there is no finer lens case out there.

I have a Gnass case. It is a little heavy, but solid, and it goes into an inexpensive very lightweight multipurpose pack.

StayAtHome Dad & Photog

When taking my Speed Graphic out and about, I use Glad brand plastic sandwich containers with a long piece of bubble wrap that I wrap around the lens and board. Cheap and waterproof. I should pick up some of the silica packs though. These fit my film bag or backpack equally well.

William
    4x5 and a Tessar is heaven
    "I beg to dream and differ from the hollow lies..." Green Day

Greetings,

Another vote for the Gnass cases.

In addition th ethe Gnass case, if you suffered a "scratch" then I would seriously evaluate how you pack your backpack. I have hiked many miles with my gear and never scratched a lens. I have suffered a slight rub to the front element of a lens, due to the flimsy lens caps that come with modern lenses. One of the best thinks you can do to protect the glass surfaces are replace the manufacturer's lens caps with the more ruggered types made by S. K. Grimes. Since I replaced mine, I haven't had any further problems.

Regards, Pete