Thread: What should I know.. when I'll go to Angkor Wat.

What should I know.. when I'll go to Angkor Wat.

Hello everyone,

Next week , I have a month trip to go to Thailand and also my plan will drop at Angkor Wat Cambodia almost a week for shooting LF. The hotel located at downtown Siem Reab. ... Now the question, beside a lot of Tmax sheet films and anti- Malaria pills, what should I should know out of the travel guide book... I think we have a number of people who went there for shooting ...Please I need a suggestion and opinion. What we will do during night???.. any nice dinner area ? ... Please me .. My first time there in Siem Reab..

Cheers,
    Ten.

I was at Angkor Wat in December 2002.

With my 4x5, I was quickly approached by the security people, and asked for my photography permit. With a large camera on a tripod, it is assumed that you doing commercial work. This permit is in addition to the tourist pass. I did not notice people with large 35mm SLR's or medium format cameras (and tripods) having such restrictions.

I had to get a permit at the Apsara Authority. There is an office in Siem Reap, and one in Phnom Penh. Applying in Siem Reap took about 1-1/2 days to receive the pass. I paid $50 USD per day.

Whenever I was at the Bayon or Ta Prohm temples (the two most popular sites), I was asked to show my permit within 15 minutes. At most of the other temple sites, I was never asked for the permit.

If you want to avoid trouble and delays, you should try to arrange in advance by mail, fax, e-mail, or telephone for a photography permit. Also, it is probably quicker to process the permit in Phnom Penh (the Siem Reap office has to communicate with the main office in Phnom Penh to get the permit).

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

I was there about 12 years ago when I was a photographer for Doctors Without Boarders. Overall a great trip.
    I worked in Sisophon which is near the boarder with Thailand. Small town but you might go through it on route to Siem Reap.
    There was a hospital there and in Siem Reap, just in case. Roads were very rough. Pack your gear so it's padded and take a small phillips screw driver ( or whatever type you need) in case screws shake out. Keep some small US bills in your pocket in case you want to tip people.... if you need to convert money or change US bills to smaller go to a jewelly store... they seem to have the most cash around and were happy to change bills for me. Might want to take a few "gifts" for people who can help you... small bottle or chocolates, goes a long way.

I didn''t have to pay the fees at Ankor but it was $100 US per day back then and tough to get around it. We didn't pay because we worked at the hospital.

I'm not sure about the tripod permit.... I just had a couple M6 bodies back then.
    People were very nice.

I would pack a couple fresh/new needles in a sealed bag in my suitcase. If you get sick you don't want to use one of their needles for the shots.

I traveled mostly by motorcycle but again the roads are rough.... you cross rivers and things.... so a SUV would be nice.
    Stay on the trails if you're alone.... I'm guessing there are still a couple million land mines in Cambodia.
    It's a great place ... leave yourself tons of time....
    -Rob Skeoch

Jim Collum was there around a month ago and posted superlative images taken with a Better Light. You might want to contact him.

Scott Davis

I organize tours to Angkor Wat for photography. As has been mentioned before, if you want to take the large format camera, you will need the photography permit. I'm not going to be in Siem Reap at this time, but if you want, I can give you my local business partner's contact information. He can help you with arranging the permits, ground transportation, and guide services. He's very well informed, and an excellent english speaker. Contact me off-list if you want his contact information.

Take plenty of insect repellant.

I was there a couple of times last year. Get a moto driver to pick you up before dawn and get to the temples like Ta Phrom at sunrise - no one is around and the light and calling birds is really quite cool. The light and crowds quickly get harsh - so get going really early! They do not allow foreigners to rent motos, but an enterprising driver will LOVE to take you early for the premium price of $2 for the morning.

"some toe" - Sorry
    "ah tay!" - No
    "Ah Kuhn" - Thank You

Let me know if you need more info (I am married to a Cambodian)

I got the anser for a peason who take care about thing for taking picture there.. he said;

Concerning the price of shooting at Angkor Sites is 350 $ (three
    hundred dollars) per day. Please let me know, if you agree with this price.
    I think you can take only two days for shooting (22 and 23 of November
    2005)
    and you will spend a little money.

Very truly yours,

How's about that?.... What should I do?
    So over my limited.. I may bring small one..

Cheers,
    Ten,