Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A different tripod question .. I need short

A different tripod question .. I need short

Bob, Thanks. Looking forward to getting one.

As most here know I am a big fan of Linhof tripods. I find the u channel/flip lock design to be superior to the more traditional round legs. Personally, I find Gitzo's a pain in the butt. I can tell you from experience that the Linhof 3414, the Profi-Port II's 'big brother' is a great medium weight, solid tripod that is rock solid, much more rigid than the carbon fiber 'pods I have tried. It never leaves the back of my truck and is my mainstay for 4x5 through 8x10. I have a nice Reis J600 with J250 head that has been basically gathering dust since I got the Linhof some two years ago. Anybody want a Reis?

Linhof
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=31661&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
    Gitzo
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=303175&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

6 pounds is absolutely no problem even with both columns fully up.

Two weeks later. Big thanks to Bob Salomon! I spoke with Bob and bought the Profi-Port. It arrived in time to use it at a workshop we were running and also for me to pack on an out-of-town air trip. It fills the bill perfectly in terms of packing. Fits in a standard 20” rollaboard bag with ease and room to spare. I packed the ‘pod, ballhead, two lenses, small lightweight field camera, Pentax digital spot, Readyload holder, twenty sheets of film and clothes, etc. for 4 days and the bag wasn’t bulging. Exactly what I have been searching for.

Now, performance. It wouldn’t be my first choice fully extended but it worked fine. If there had been any wind I would have worried .... that is fully extended. However, with the center column down it is solid as a rock and I would be comfortable using it with much more weight than my 4 pounder or even my Canham 5x7. With only the main center column up (not the extension screwed in) still nice and solid (yeah a bit short but life is compromises). Fully extended it is as tall as I want a tripod for most situations, in fact for most shooting just. the main column up and not necessarily all the way up is fine.

It is shorter folded than the smaller Bogen/Manfrotto ‘pods and taller extended (3001/3021). In fact the only other tripod I have ever seen that would be acceptable for light LF work that folds up like this is the shorter Stabil and that is a very very expensive option. The Profi-port does just what I want. I highly recommend it for anyone who has a frequent need to stick a tripod in a carryon bag. As Bob said, HP Marketing is closing them out and the price is right. When I got mine two weeks ago they still had a dozen left.