Thread: Timed Cable release Question

Timed Cable release Question

I'm looking to do a project in which I will often be in the photographs and won't always have the ability to bring someone along to trip the shutter on my view camera lens. So, I need either a timed shutter release mechanism or a wireless one that has a delay. The 40 foot air releases wont work because sometimes I'll be further away, and I don't want the cord in the picture. I've located three timed cable plungers, but the longest I can set any of them to is about 19 seconds, and I would prefer something in the area of a minute. Does anybody have or know of anything like what I am looking for. Any ideas would be welcomed. Thanks.

chad

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Autoknips.

These are old German mechanical timers, and were made in great quantities in a bewildering number of models. Some of them go up to about a minute (at least one of mine does), some thread onto the release socket, some are made to press the plunger of a cable release.

Thanks Ole Tjugen,

You don't happen to have any you want to sell do you?

chad

Chad, Prontor also made one. I'd have to check mine but goes to at leas 30 seconds maybe longer.

Ole,

Most of those were self-timers not long exposure timers weren't they?

He is looking for something more like the discontinued Prontor Long Exposure Release from the Prontor Professional. Last list price was in the $600.00 range.

Actually, I'm not looking for the Prontor for long exposures. I am looking for the self-timer autoknips that Ole mentioned. I need something to trigger the shutter for me so that I can be in the picture. I'll be shooting at something close to 1/30th of a second so I don't need the prontor set up. Thanks all.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

At one time I had eight of the little thingies, but I'm down to two (different) now. They turn up on ebay.de so often that I got all of mine included with other gear I bought - they're so cheap the shipping is ususlly higher than the price. About $5 should get you a nice one

I used to own a gadget that screwed into the shutter and it delayed the release for up to about 30 seconds depending on the time you set. I bought mine from Adorama but I'm sure Porters and other similar places probably also sell them. I used it with a Pentax 67 camera but I assume it would work with any shutter as long as the shutter accepts a standard cable release. Cost about $10.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.