Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ansel's disciples: Ross, Witherill, Orland

Ansel's disciples: Ross, Witherill, Orland

The thread on Hunington Witherall's work prompted me to wonder, how are Ansel Adams' former assistants and disciples doing in terms of getting shows and selling prints? When Adams' work is selling in the tens and hundreds of thousands, and you could argue that in terms of print quality, people like Alan Ross, Ted Orland, and Hunington Witherall [at least his silver work... ;-) ] can make a print every bit as good as Ansel, if not better, what are they selling their prints for? Can they make a living at it?

Which of the living grand tradition western landscape photographers -- William Clift, Capanigro, etc. -- is doing the best and getting the highest prices?

ask Russ Levin.

How well financially one does in the art world doesn't necessarily have much to do with how technically apt the artists is, it may be how groundbreaking their work is. I mean, I can surely paint as well as Pollack, but that doesn't mean much does it, he did it first and was marketed.

A few years back when he was living in New Mexico, Caponigro told me once, in all sincerity (with some bitterness), that if were a painter and as well known as he was that he would be wealthy. As it was he was just getting by with print sales and the workshops.

In New Mexico it is clear that lesser artists in mediums other than photography can do quite well, where even well known photographers struggle. This includes at least one of Ansel's assistants. Clift and Ed Ranney are rumoured to have other sources of income. David Muench is the most successful that I personally know, but it is almost all stock sales. There are some very financially successful photographers here but they do more commercial work with New York clients etc.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I've heard that John Sexton get $750 + for an 11x14 B & W print. Workshops all over the place.

But how often does John Sexton sell a print? That's something I've wondered. How about some of the photographers in the same group that sell their limited edition 16x20's for $3,000? How often do they get an order for one. I love John's prints but could never afford one and I have a feeling that most of his income comes from workshops. But I could be wrong.
    John

John,

I'll sell you one of mine for a lot less than Sexton's.

But I don't do workshops. No one would come.

Thanks Curmudgeon,
    I think if I had $750 I'd spend it on film for the freezer. I was just looking and some of the "Yosemite" photographers charge upwards of $5,000 for limited prints (they are beautiful though)...John Sexton's photos are cheap in comparison.

How's 'bout $500 and I'll throw in the shipping.

$450??