Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deardorff 8x10 or 5x7 Special?

Deardorff 8x10 or 5x7 Special?

Greetings,

Just a curiosity here... I've been in the market for an 8x10 Dorff for a little while now. At present, I shoot with a Sinar X indoors and a Tachihara 4x5 outdoors. However, I've always wanted a piece of photographic tradition and, therefore, my desire for the Dorff.

I now have an opportunity to pick up a beautifully, restored 5x7 Deardorff Special (with 4x5 Graflex back) at a reasonable (??) price of US$1,600.

My question is, "Should I go for the 5x7 or just stay on track for an 8x10 V8?"

I'm looking to use this camera both indoors and outdoors... landscapes outdoors and still lifes indoor. I would be dispensing with the Tachihara when I move to either the 5x7 or 8x10.

5x7 film isn't all that readily available... I know you can cut 8x10 to 5x7 although this could be a bit of a hassle to do.
    8x10 film comes in a few more varieties.
    I have a couple of 8x10 holders but no 5x7s at the moment.
    I know that an 8x10 also has, as an option, a 5x7 and/or a 4x5 reducing back enabling the use of 3 different formats.
    Films will always be processed by a pro lab... no space to do my own thing here.

Although I know the ultimate decision has to be made by the photographer, I'm just curious as to what choice would "YOU" good folks go with if you were in the same boat as I am (and given the above variables?)

TIA for any sage advice.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Terence

What kind of field shooting do you do? If you're going far from a car you'll be a lot more likely to be willing to carry the 5x7 and go farther. A 4x5 reducing back increases your film options and allows a lot more movements than your Tachihara for not much more bulk (but a lot more weight) The 8x10 is a heavy beast by comparison. If you're likely to shoot near your vehicle wait for the 8x10. For about the same money you can get a decent "user" 8x10, and wait for a 5x7 reducing back if you want the option. I have an 8x10 Korona and a 5x7 Korona. The 5x7 gets a workout, but I'm rarely up for hauling the 8x10 around on mass transit, etc. Admittedly, Dearoffs are a lot less bulky and a little lighter (and nicer, more stable, more rigid, more everything). The one time I got to use an 8x10 Deardorff my friend almost had to pry my fingers off it when I went to return it. It feels like a Stradivarius compared to my fiddle. Weight aside (compared to some modern options), they're just soooooooooo beautifully engineered and crafted. You sort of expect to hear angels singing as you open it up. I can only imagine what the 11x14 is like.

As an aside, I live in a small NYC apartment and still do my own B&W developing in the bathroom. It's really not that bad unless you're shooting dozens of negs at a time (unlikely in 8x10). A Jobo (or similar) tank would make it a lot easier, but trays work fine for a few negs at a time.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Like Terence said, 5x7 is lighter to hike with. A 5x7 enlarger isn't much bigger than a 4x5 enlarger, but 8x10 enlargers are huge and harder to find; that may be a consideration too. Film shouldn't be too hard to find; everywhere I see 8x10, there seems to be 4x5 and 5x7 too, but that's all mail-order. And it'll be about half the price. And about half the sixe...

There is a definite difference to the feel of the different proportions; the longer rectangle of 5x7 hints at panorama, or sometimes Japanism when shot vertical.

I've never seen a 5x7 Deardorff, but I bet they're really cute. That might be a consideration, too.

In the end, if you want a 5x7, you should get the 5x7. But if you want an 8x10, get an 8x10.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I've never liked the 4x5 aspect ratio and so I have no interest in 8x10. As a result, I purchased a Deardorff Special with the 5x7 back. It is a NFS model from pre-WWII , was in nice shape, and I picked it up for $900.

Of course you could get an 8x10 with a reducing back for 5x7, but I would only do so if you really liked the 4x5/8x10 aspect ratio and only wanted to do 5x7 once in awhile. If your interest is in 5x7, then get a 5x7 and leave the extra weight and bulk of an 8x10 behind & spend the money saved on an extra lens, which BTW will be lighter and less expensive than the bigger siblings meant for 8x10.

In descending order of preference I shoot 5x7, 4x5 and 8x10. Terrance and mark hit the nail on the head in that 5x7, while giving you a negative that is nearly twice as large as a 4x5 negative does so with little extra size and weight to the camera. In fact, there are a number of 5x7 field cameras that weigh no more than some 4x5's and, yes, I like the aspect ration much better than that of 4x5 or 8x10 and I prefer to 'crop in the camera' when I can.

Film is not nearly the problem that some make it out to be. You have to work harder to get it and sometimes you need to get it in 13x18 instead of 5x7 but there is a wide variety of both color and black and white film available. I currently have RSX II, Provia, TXP, Bergger 200 and EKP on hand.

Processing may be your problem. You said, "Films will always be processed by a pro lab ... " and you should check the ability of labs in your area to handle 5x7 and 13x18 film. Very few labs are equipped to handle 5x7 film; they just no longer have the hangers for their dip and dunk line or the tubes for their tube processors. I have two decent labs within 30 miles, both handle 4x5 and 8x10 but neither handle 5x7. On those rare occasions when I am not processing my own I have to send it to a lab in Rochester, several hundred miles away. Thus, unless you are lucky enough to live near one of the few labs that can process 5x7 or don't mind sending it by mail, you may not want to go this route unless you can change your limitations on processing. BTW if you use one of the smaller Jobo units, the CPP or CPA they takeup little space and do not require a darkroom. Great format, hope you can work it out.

Henry,

If you want to make reasonably good-sized contract prints or you desire to make enlargements bigger than 16x20 inches, then the 8x10 camera would be the right choice. On the other hand, if you don't plan to make enlargements bigger than 16x20 inches and if you are not interested in making large contact prints, the 5x7 camera might be the better choice. The 5x7 camera still gives you a large negative, film is cheaper than what you would have to pay for an 8x10, and 16x20-inch enlargements are excellent from this format. As for weight, the 5x7 is lighter to be sure, but if you are strong and fit, then the 8x10 will not be a big deterrent as far as size, weight, and bulk are concerned. However, if you prefer to travel as light as you can, the 8x10 will seem like a burden, especially on long day hikes in the mountains, should you ever find yourself in such a location. Finally, if you purchase your 5x7 black and white film through mail order sources, there is still a good range of film available from Kodak, Ilford, Bergger, and Efke.

I hope this helps.

Henry,

IMHO, 8x10! As you said, you can always get a reducing back and besides, you've already got the holders. I like 5x7, but theres nothing like looking at an 8x10 gg (except maybe a 12x20 gg!) BTW, you'll find the clamshell design of the 8x10 'dorff a lot easier to transport than your Korona. FWIW, I find that most of the wieght/bulk when moving up in size comes from the film holders and tripod.

Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

As an 8x10 user, I often crop a little off one side to get a slightly elongated image; recently I made an 8x10 negative with every intention of printing it 4x10, which looks just right for that image. I sometimes back off a bit and crop out just the center when I want a print slightly smaller than the others, to give it a more intimate feel. I also occassionally take some down to 6.5x8.5 (the old whole-plate size) because I'm fond of that size.

Some have principled objections to such cropping as indicating "failure to properly compose on the ground glass"; not me. But I usually know I'll crop while I'm photographing...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

I think it depends if you want to enlarge or make contacts. The 5x7 contacts seem small after awhile.... although the 8x10 contacts start looking small after a while also. But if you plan to make contacts I would go with an 8x10. If you plan to buy an enlarger I would go with the 5x7..... the neg is still very large, the camera is lighter, the equipment is less expensive. The film is easier to handle, the enlargers are cheaper, it's a great shape, the deardorff special is a nice camea, and you could buy the one you mentioned and be shooting by the weekend.
    I have a 8x10 and was happy making contacts until I sent out and had a couple enlargements made.... now I'm thinking of getting an enlarger myself. Although I'm very happy with my camera I am thinking of dropping back down to 5x7 and getting a enlarger to print with.
    As far as reducing backs go... yes you can get them... I have one, but few people use them..... I wouldn't think of carrying an 8x10 camera in the field and shooting a 4x5 sheet with it. It's just too much work.
    -Rob

The V8 will give you a longer bellows extension. That may be a consideration for you. I shoot differently than Rob because I "would" carry a reducing back into the field to really tighten up the angle of view with a long lens.