Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Efke 8x10

Efke 8x10

Could you not have a friend ship it to you and avoid the high tax? Surely there must be a way to get around the unfortunate need of the government to get in our pockets unnecessarily.

For a tax to be the go or no go determinant between a large format sheet film decision between us and our European friends is just wrong. If I lived in Europe, I would find a way to remedy this situation to shoot T Max 400 one way or another. To not have it in film holders for when I need it I find completely unacceptable - but that may just be me.

Cheers and Good Shooting!

not an junior member Janko Belaj's Avatar

Efke 8x10

My vote goes for Efke 25... They are comlitely different in rendition and I like 25 more. Will try 50 too (same kind as 25, just one ie more). I have just bought few boxes Fotokemika have in warehouse, and have been told they will go with new batch in production in just few days... So it is very likely all distributers will have it before the end of this month (well, except as a buyer, I'm not connected with Fotokemika and don't take my word as a Fotokemika's promise!). Btw, my best friend will go this week to Fotokemika and he can ask for more details.
    (it is not impossible for me to buy and send efke film, but lazy and occupied as I usually am, maybe it won't be the best idea to offer such think... last time I promised similar thing (for 120 format) my virtual friend had to write me dozen mails...)

Efke 8x10

Kodak film is getting harder and harder to find in Europe in bigger sheet sizes (even 4x5) - at least last time I was back.

A box of 50 TMax 400 8x10 will cost you around US$200.00 + in the UK as I recall
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Efke 8x10

I know at least one Norwegian who buys his EFKE from J&C here in the US. He says its cheaper that way than buying in Europe (even with shipping and VAT). In that case some J&C 400 could be a real bargain at the sale prices John has right now ($69/50 sheets). I bought some last week and hope to shoot a few sheets tomorrow.

You might look into it Luca.

I agree that 400 could be better than 100, but the 100 is nice. Another option more classic than tmax would be some tri-x from b&h or adorama.

www.jandcphoto.com

Mike

Efke 8x10

Hi. I just bought an 8x10 also, and since my favorite film (Neopan 400) is not available in 8x10 ANYWHERE, I chose to go with Ilford HP5. It's a great film. I develop it in Tmax developer. Grain? What's grain?

Efke 8x10

Luca-

If you are indeed limited to the Efke 25 and 100 films, then you should know that they are very different films. Both are excellent, but they will give you very different results. The Efke 25 does not have much sensitivity to the full red portion of the spectrum, while Efke 100 is panchromatic. You can find the graphs for the sensitivity of these films at the J and C site, under "Efke Tech Data".

Only you can decide if this matters to you. Personally I shoot Efke 100 in 8x10. I tried Efke 25 in 4x5, and although it is extremely fine grained, I simply didn't like the lack of sensitivity to reds that I got with it. Efke 25 has amazingly small grain and with the proper developer delivers negatives that could be enlarged to massive sizes, but since I contact print 8x10 and the Efke 100 gave me the images I wanted, I stuck with the 100. For contact printing the grain really doesn't matter (at least to my eyes), but the representation of the colors does matter to me.

Again, these are my personal opinions. I know of others who are extremely happy with Efke 25. If you shoot 4x5, you might consider picking up a box of each to try out, to see if one or the other is more useful to you. 4x5 film is much cheaper than 8x10 for experimenting. (I still shoot Efke 25 in 4x5 from time to time depending on the subject, because I still have some from when I compared the two films in 4x5. I find that I use it mostly for still-life work, where I can take better advantage of the film by controlling what's included in the picture.)

One other thought: If you have access to Foma films, Fomapan 200 is available in 8x10 (at least in the US). That's one stop faster for you. I have used a lot of the Fomapan 200 in 120 size and I'm very happy with it. I recently purchased my first box of Fomapan 200 sheet film, but have not yet had the time to test it. If it's as good in sheet film as it is in roll film, I'll probably start shooting it in 8x10 along with the Efke 100.

Be well.
    Dave

Efke 8x10

"Hi. I just bought an 8x10 also, and since my favorite film (Neopan 400) is not available in 8x10 ANYWHERE, I chose to go with Ilford HP5. It's a great film. I develop it in Tmax developer. Grain? What's grain?"

Percy,

give it a try in Ilford DD-X and see how you like it
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

Efke 8x10

I have no idea why a very popular sheet film that is readily available here in the US is both hard to find in Europe and that expensive.

T Max 400 is readily available here in the US as I found it in stock at B&H, Badger, Calumet, Freestyle and Adorama. The price when shopped around however was all over the board. Highest was $172 at Calumet and the cheapest was $140 a box at Badger Graphics. Quite a difference in a free market of choice.

But whatever brand you chose to shoot, you still have to be able to get your hands on it.

Thanks God for big chest freezers. I keep them stocked to the gills.

Efke 8x10

"I have no idea why a very popular sheet film that is readily available here in the US is both hard to find in Europe and that expensive. "

My be a bit less expensive in Euroland

Other than that, Kodak have been scaling back their distribution (and manpower) in Europe for a few years now, especially in Professional products

Efke 8x10

Tim:
    1) What exactly should I expect from DD-x.
    2) Where might I purchase it?

I use Tmax because: 1) I am too lazy (sometimes) to mix perceptol, and 2) it is worlds beyond what I consider to be one of the crappiest developer ever concocted: Ilfosol S.

I'd be interested in knowing what DD-X might do that Tmax does not.