Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Efke 8x10

Efke 8x10

Luca, Ekfe 100 is a very good film for general use. As others have said, be careful handling the wet emulsion —drum processing is preferable. Fotoimpex-Berlin currently lists the 8x10/50 sheet box of Adox/Efke 100 for €90.48, plus a fixed-rate shipping charge of €10.00 (If you get more film the shipping is proportionally cheaper). This price seems to be equal to the U.S. price Michael mentioned. I haven't tried Foma films in 8x10, but I have had good experiences with their T200 in 120 size.

I am surprised to see Mike Davis' post that J&C sells to Norway, which is FotoImpex 'territory'. I was under the impression that the two branches of this company didn't cross over. I know that FotoImpex won't send to the states, for instance.

Here in Paris (and by mailorder all over Europe) Prophot currently sells Kodak TMY400 8x10/50sheets for a mere €355.89 incl. tax but not incl. shipping. They give a 10% discount for pros. See www.prophot.com. Have fun.

It would be difficult to find a higher Tmax price anywhere (but I sure it exists!). But Tim hit it on the nose about getting U.S. film shipped over here . Shipping, customs and duties can often kill any price advantages. Some packages arrive unscathed, but it's hit-or-miss. Michael's idea of having a friend send stuff over is a good one, but friends tend to get tired of doing their "Mailbox, Etc." routine more than a few times. Plus, if they send it the quick way (UPS, FedEx) instead of via USPS, the package risks having customs tacked-on anyway. It seems that the express services systematically pass all packages under the customs nose to deliberately pay all fees and prevent any delays. Last year I had to pay €40.00 for a Christmas gift of a scarf and gloves. Ho, ho, ho. As a hint to anyone sending packages to European friends, use USPS and make sure the package DOESN'T look commercial (hand-written label, individual stamps, dirty box). Don't forget to check the box on the green customs label marked "gift"!

In general, we Euro-residents are kind of trapped. Fotoimpex seems to be one of the few resellers on the continent still discounting in a shrinking market. Because of that, Luca, maybe it's a good idea for us to support them, no?

Efke 8x10

" I have no idea why a very popular sheet film that is readily available here in the US is both hard to find in Europe and that expensive." --Michael Kadillak

Michael, I forgot to offer one simple, probable and obvious explanation: the market is smaller and the demand is less here than in the U.S.

Best,

Efke 8x10

I understand what you are saying Christopher and it is most unfortunate for the sheet film consumers overseas.

All I can say is that I am damn glad that we get to use this film here in the states.

Onward!

Efke 8x10

Thank you to all of you. Fotoimpex is certainly doing a very good job not to leave the LF dying in the old Europe. I will try to support them with the purcahse of Efke 100 to start with. Christopher, I will be in Paris for an exhibition in November (almost 10 days) and I would like to exchange some words about LF over a couple of wine glasses. In case you are interested, kindly contact me.

Ciao to all.