Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 light leaks when removing the dark slide

Re: 4x5 light leaks when removing the dark slide

Alright. I guess I'll just have to actually test them out. Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I stack the deck in my favor and keep the dark cloth covering the rear standard. Of course my gear is older than dirt,
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Hi everyone, I am new to large format (and new to this forum). I have been having some light leak issues similar to what has been mentioned in this thread. It is nearly always in the bottom left of an image where the base of the film holder meets the side rail.

You can see evidence of it in this image

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lightleak1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	188420

And to an even greater extent in this image

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lightleak2.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	188421

Admittedly, I haven't been keeping the focusing cloth on once I have composed the image. Is this what would have been causing a light leak? Should I keep the dark cloth over the rear element whilst I pull out the ark slide, exposure the sheet and re fit the dark slide?

Foamer

I am careful to not have the top of the holder pointing towards the sun (horizontal shooting.) If veritical shots, I pull the slide out and quickly flip it around and stick it about half an inch back in.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

May I ask what camera are you using? I had a similar problem because the camera I was using (Korona View) has very smooth easy to open springs holding the back and I was separating the film holder from the back of the camera for one small instance and only in a corner. After the advise of some veterans here, I grab the film against the camera before and during the pull of the dark slide. Problem over.
    PS: I did tighten the back by of the springs by screwing another small screw to the spring. I also crazy glued one piece of 2mm x1.5mm to the carving (it was too wide) that holds the the lens holder and prevents it from coming out. Some, small sounding and spray painting, and nobody can notice it.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Surprised nobody mentioned that yet - avoid to bend the dark slide when pulling it from the film holder. And no, I don't take the dark slide out the whole way, it's asking for troubles even with new film holders or even with new roll film holders.

Quote Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
    May I ask what camera are you using? I had a similar problem because the camera I was using (Korona View) has very smooth easy to open springs holding the back and I was separating the film holder from the back of the camera for one small instance and only in a corner. After the advise of some veterans here, I grab the film against the camera before and during the pull of the dark slide. Problem over.
    PS: I did tighten the back by of the springs by screwing another small screw to the spring. I also crazy glued one piece of 2mm x1.5mm to the carving (it was too wide) that holds the the lens holder and prevents it from coming out. Some, small sounding and spray painting, and nobody can notice it.
    It's a third generation Intrepid 4x5

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    Surprised nobody mentioned that yet - avoid to bend the dark slide when pulling it from the film holder. And no, I don't take the dark slide out the whole way, it's asking for troubles even with new film holders or even with new roll film holders.
    I like this idea, however I also like to flip the darkslide so the black side is out indicating that the slide has been exposed (with the white side facing out showing the slide is unexposed).

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davewell View Post
    It's a third generation Intrepid 4x5
    I have the 4x5 Second Generation and had no problem with the bangy cords they use. Are the spring hard enough, or do you feel they are to easy to open?
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones

Quote Originally Posted by ckkim120 View Post
    Alright. I guess I'll just have to actually test them out. Thanks for all the replies everyone.
    How did your tests go? I thought is was unusual for so many holders to look bad in the flashlight test you did. I have had occasional light leaks (maybe 2 or 3 out of over 450 shots) with Riteway Fidelity holders, all well-used, but if I considered the circumstance, the leaks were likely from not pulling the slide straight out, due to awkward tripod locations on steep hillsides. I have one slot in an old glass plate holder that always leaks, and I just leave the slide in partway to block the light.

If the sun is shining strongly on the holder's slot end, it is good to use a hat or something to block that intense light before pulling the slide.