Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4x5 light leaks when removing the dark slide

4x5 light leaks when removing the dark slide

Hey all,

I recently bought a set of 5 Toyo 4x5 holders. After testing the holders (putting a flashlight in the camera and sitting in a dark room looking for light leaks), I noticed that there is just a bit of light leaking through the dark slide port as I am removing the dark slide. Once completely removed there are no leaks, however. I've noticed this behavior in almost all 10 of my used holders. Is this normal, or should holders be completely light tight even as one removes the dark slide?

Thanks.

Re: 4x5 Light leaks

Well they SHOULD be light tight but it's often a less than perfect world. I like to keep the dark cloth over my holders as I pull the slide. I've also found that not pulling absolutely straight out can make the problem worse ie putting any forward or rearward pressure on the slide while pulling.

Re: 4x5 Light leaks

Gotcha. So realistically, if you buy holders new they shouldn't have any leaking whatsoever? Or do most people just accept that there is a possibility of tiny light leaks and just compensate by covering up the camera with a dark cloth? Sorry, I'm relatively new to LF, and I'm not sure what is considered "normal".

Re: 4x5 light leaks when removing the dark slide

I personally cover the film side (rear standard) with a dark cloth to minimize the risk of light leaking into the film holder. Also the way you pull the darkslide also matters, as user may be prone to pulling the rear standard towards you while removing the darkslide. I use a blackjacket hybrid darkcloth.

In my personal opinion, if the film gets light leaks unless you cover your camera with a darkcloth, your holders or your camera is broken. I'm not quite sure what your specific issue is, from your description, but try them and see. That's really the only way to find out.

As you can tell, I don't cover my cameras with my darkcloth. I have before, when I had some serious issues with one camera and holder, and even doing that didn't help at times. I don't believe it is all that helpful - there is still plenty of light bouncing around under the DC and so if it's a problem, you will eventually get light-leaks, likely on the shot you really didn't want light leaks on...
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Don’t remove the slides. Just pull them out till they uncover the film, use a permanent marker to mark a line to show you that the film is uncovered and ready for exposure. Shoot and push the holder back to cover the film. This prevents light getting into the slot, especially with older holders.
    If shooting with the light coming directly toward the slot use a spare slide, hat, dark cloth to shade the slot.
    Last edited by Bob Salomon; 20-Nov-2018 at 08:41.

In many cases, we're playing with 50-100 year old hand-me-down cameras and filmholders that we bought for spare money that worked perfectly when new and cost a month's wages new. That and the cost of film and the inability to see the same moment twice, we play it careful sometimes being superstitious or extra cautious about leaks.

I don't use a dark cloth when shooting to prevent leaks. I like to pull the darkslide all the way out and use it to prevent flare on the lens. It could be the springs that hold the film holder against the back of the camera are weak and you need to hold the film holder flat against the camera while removing the darkslide. This is what happens to most people who think think their film holder leaked. It could be the film holder. I have had very very few film holders leak and have acquired them from a bunch of sources. I'd suggest go shooting and see what happens; the experience is valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Don’t remove the slides. Just pull them out till they uncover the film, use a permanent marker to mark a line to show you that the film is uncovered and ready for exposure. Shoot and push the holder back to cover the film. This prevents light getting into the slot, especially with older holders.
    If shooting with the light coming directly toward the slot use a sore slide, hat, dark cloth to shade the slot.
    ^^ this. I've found a silver magic marker leaves a very easily observable indicator of how far to pull. It's gotten to be a habit, what can I say?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Don’t remove the slides. Just pull them out till they uncover the film, use a permanent marker to mark a line to show you that the film is uncovered and ready for exposure.
    If it works for you, great. But to me this seems like a path to disaster (in the form of double exposures). I always load film in the darkroom with the white side of the pull tab facing out (means "unexposed" to me). When I make an exposure in the field, I flip the darkside so that the black side of the pull tab is facing out (which means "exposed" to me). Working like this I've never had an unintentional double exposure.

I'm with the people who block direct sunlight from the light trap by hands/hat/head/body/whatever shadows. Since I started doing that (after having to diagnose a light leak of course) I've had very few light leak problems.

Besides, if I didn't pull the darkslide, what would I use to shade the lens?

Bruce Watson

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    If it works for you, great. But to me this seems like a path to disaster (in the form of double exposures). I always load film in the darkroom with the white side of the pull tab facing out (means "unexposed" to me). When I make an exposure in the field, I flip the darkside so that the black side of the pull tab is facing out (which means "exposed" to me). Working like this I've never had an unintentional double exposure.

I'm with the people who block direct sunlight from the light trap by hands/hat/head/body/whatever shadows. Since I started doing that (after having to diagnose a light leak of course) I've had very few light leak problems.

Besides, if I didn't pull the darkslide, what would I use to shade the lens?
    Just carry some tape and put a piece on the sides as film is exposed. A big enough piece let’s you jot down short notes.