Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Film Holder Weight per Sheet Data - DDS, Grafmatic, Kinematic, others

Re: Film Holder Weight per Sheet Data - DDS, Grafmatic, Kinematic, others

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Oh well! Carrying weight is part of the LF shooter's burden anyway.
    True. Of course outside of weight, bulk is also something to consider. 5 standard DDS holders would take up a lot more space than 1 Kinematic, along with the ~3/4 pound difference. Err, ~300g. Sorry to mix units...I only used grams here for more precision without decimals.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Re: Weight and volume.

I have not done the serious testing that the Op did, but did look at weight and volume superficially one day while planning for an up coming vacation. Looked at Grafmatic vs DDS holders. The Grafmatic was maybe 2/3 the thickness of 3 DDS holders, but seemed much heavier just holding them in my hands. I decided that the lighter weight and operation simplicity of the DDS holders overcame the volume issue.

I have long thought that there is a niche in our LF world for a Grafmartic style film magazine made from modern light weight matwerials. In this age of CAD/CAM and 3-D printing something effective should be possible. Maybe a redesigned MIDO style system. Maybe something derived from a playing card shuffling machineThe guys from WanderLust had the right idea with the TravelWide project. They stumbled over design detailes and production delays they could not control.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

On thing I do not like in the use of Grafmatics (apart from user errors in the operation) is inserting the thicker cassette behind the groundglass, and exposing. All these steps require more force than standard holders with the possible moving of the camera, which is most likely on the light side as is the tripod, since the idea is to travel light, right ?

Best,

Cor

The Grafmatic is certainly heavier and slighter thicker than one standard DDS holder. Personally, I have never had any issue sliding the Grafmatics behind the GG on my Chamonix, Linhof Technika, or Speed Graphic. Other cameras may vary.

Drew, the Grafmatic really does feel heavy in the hand, but currently I don't know of any film holders that are lighter in groups of 3? Perhaps old wood holders? I used to have some, but I gave them all away. I am not a fan of wooden holders.

I think wood holders are better for wood cameras. Less wear.

I use plastic or metal holders with metal cameras. Yes I have a couple all metal 2x3 DDS film holders. Mostly aluminum which corrodes..

The name and where they are currently eludes me. Alton perhaps?

http://www.largeformatphotography.in.../t-111840.html
    Tin Can

The Linhof holders shown there, with the pressure plate, are indeed amazing holders - with the caveat of an extreme size and weight penalty (they are thicker than normal DDS holders).

I have 10 of them I picked up here and there. I use them primarily for single-sheet shooting still-life images, to be assured of perfect film spacing and flatness, usually on my Technika. They are also good for short DOF handheld work, though I think the Grafmatics work just fine for that and of course benefit from carrying less per sheet. Also the Linhof holders work with plates which is nice. I could shoot 20 dry plates in a day .

Overall I like having a variety of film holders. Sometimes I will have 2 Grafmatics loaded with T-Max 100, a couple of Fidelity holders with 400-speed film, and maybe some of the Linhof holders with color film. No need to have a complex system to remember what is in what holder this way. I also use rubber bands to both assure the DDS slides stay put as well as mark what holders are what sometimes - normal flesh-colored rubber bands are always b&w film, blue rubber bands are always color negative, and pink or purple rubber bands are always positive film.
    Last edited by Corran; 14-Nov-2018 at 14:35.

Well I did just hold a Grafmatic in one hand and 3 DDs holders in the other, so. . . .maybe its me.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Thanks for the picture. Doesn't look anything like the Fidelity "Elite" holder here. In fact, my Fidelity "Elite" holder looks identical to the Lisco Regal II holder (while the Lisco Regal holder looks kinda like that pic). Perhaps I should take a group picture. I assume there was some connection between Lisco/Fidelity.
    At the end, Lisco, Fidelity and Riteway were one and the same company, made in the same CA factory all owned by Calumet.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    The Linhof holders shown there, with the pressure plate, are indeed amazing holders - with the caveat of an extreme size and weight penalty (they are thicker than normal DDS holders).

I have 10 of them I picked up here and there. I use them primarily for single-sheet shooting still-life images, to be assured of perfect film spacing and flatness, usually on my Technika. They are also good for short DOF handheld work, though I think the Grafmatics work just fine for that and of course benefit from carrying less per sheet. Also the Linhof holders work with plates which is nice. I could shoot 20 dry plates in a day .

Overall I like having a variety of film holders. Sometimes I will have 2 Grafmatics loaded with T-Max 100, a couple of Fidelity holders with 400-speed film, and maybe some of the Linhof holders with color film. No need to have a complex system to remember what is in what holder this way. I also use rubber bands to both assure the DDS slides stay put as well as mark what holders are what sometimes - normal flesh-colored rubber bands are always b&w film, blue rubber bands are always color negative, and pink or purple rubber bands are always positive film.
    That isn’t a pressure plate, it is a spacer that automatically compensates for the different thickness between glass plates and sheet films.

And exactly what would it push sheet film against in a view camera back?

It pushes the film against the rails. I mean, when the film is in, it is tight up against the rails from the "pressure" applied by the plate. It's not just adjusted to the right depth, which would then allow the film to move freely like a normal holder. What did Linhof call it?