Thread: Lens comparison - Tessar - Heli Orthar - Protar.

Lens comparison - Tessar - Heli Orthar - Protar.

Hi all,

Still testing lenses for 4x5. Shot at 1/25seg f16, two last not well exposed, I guess I didn't placed the shutter speed correctly, it has no ring for speeds and only dots (next time I will bring a better speed note for it).

1 - Protar 180mm, rear lens only

2 - Tessar 175mm

3 - Heli-Orthar 150-160mm? Rear lens only

4 - Heli-Orthar 130mm Both lenses.

Regardless the last two ones exposition, which lens please you more? Tone, contrast, sharpness, etc.
    If you have any other consideration please go ahead.
    Btw, I did not the develop/scan, soon I hope I start doing both. Photos haven't been corrected (Ps, Lr, etc)

Thank you in advance,
    Alex

Re: Lens comparison - Tessar - Heli Orthar - Protar.

Hello!!

The second one, the Tessar ;-)
    Contrast and sharpness seem much better.
    Even better if you compare how the cars on the left look like.

Thanks for sharing
    Antonio

For making sharp photos there are many good choices of lenses. If you really want to see how the lenses may work differently try shooting some closer distances with different items in the scene out of focus. Different light too. Two lenses might make a crisp thin depth of field portrait. One might swirl in the background. An out of focus brightly lit branch might be a thicker smooth line on one lens and double-lines on another lens. Photos facing the winter sun might flare or lose contrast differently with different lenses too. Keep at it and enjoy the experimenting and learning.

Huub

Did you notice the irregularities on both the long sides of the negative?

My guess is you used a jobo 2509n in rotation. A lot of people do have excelent results with it, but i suffered the same issues as these negatives show and was never able to solve it. Finally switched to XTOL-replenished and a inversion development, which helped a lot.

I got the negatives from the lab and taking a look Heli-Orthar is much sharp than Tessar one.
    JP: Yes, two more sessions to go, one portraits and another closer landscape, after that I should have enough info to know which one to keep.
    Huub: My next trip to the lab I will bring the negatives and ask them about which tank did they use, as well asking them about the vertical stripe on the Tessar one. So far this lab has been good, in a month I plan to do the process myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Huub View Post
    Did you notice the irregularities on both the long sides of the negative?

My guess is you used a jobo 2509n in rotation. A lot of people do have excelent results with it, but i suffered the same issues as these negatives show and was never able to solve it. Finally switched to XTOL-replenished and a inversion development, which helped a lot.
    Yes, I showed them the negatives and they said it was their fault and said they are very sorry.

Hi all,

Four portraits and in addition of the previous lenses a very old Goerz Berlin Doppel Anastigmat series III 180mm (This is mine already, it came with a Fotocord 1)
    Ilford Delta 100, EV was 9 so I went down to f11 and 1/4 or 1/3 sec. It was difficult for the models (colleagues thanks a lot!!) ad they were nervous, the Tessar one moved a little her head. Focusing it was very hard and I'm not sure if I did it right.
    I think should have gone to f16.
    The worst thing was me showing off my little hairs on the portraits, now I'm sure I'm not a vampire.

Plaubel Heli Orthar f6.3 No.4 - Rear lens.

CZJ Protarlinse Serie VII 18cm - Rear lens.

GB Doppel Anastigmat 180mm.

Tessar 175mm.

Conclusions about the lenses, surprised (in a good way) by the GB Doppel Anastigmat 180mm, nice Tessar as usual and no conclusive about if buying Protar or Heli-Orthar, I would have more chances to shoot with Heli Orthar, it covers much better 4x5 with one or two lenses, Protar get vignetting with both lenses.
    One more test to do, middle-close landscape.

Please comment if you see more mistakes and thank you for watching.
    Alex

What nice smiles everyone has. I like the photos for that as much as your test.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

I think it is very hard to base a decision on scans viewed on our monitors - just too many variables. You can make a much better evaluation from your own prints, and by examining the negatives with a loupe. Unless the differences are significant I would consider other variables: coverage, weight, and size (the last two if you carry the camera and lenses around much).

Steve, yes we had while shooting, my "5 minutes is enough" went to 40 minutes but I had to say it to keep them waiting, no one complained so everyone enjoyed, on flckr next to these 4 are the backstage ones. The models did very well and had loads of patience with me.
    Peter, I know and almost I will go for Tessar, I always like it and it's so rare lens that only for that I will keep it, and Heli-Orthar, 1 wide and two long for one lens. Last shoot I will decide about this one.
    About Protar, as someone said a legendary lens, very nice one with only few cleaning marks on the front lens, great shutter and etc... But then I miss a plate camera 6x9 for using it with both lenses? Any advice about any?