Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First 8x10 - Stenopeika or The Italian Camera

First 8x10 - Stenopeika or The Italian Camera

Hey

Im looking in investing in my first 8x10 camera, been shooting 5x4 for a while now and would like to jump to a bigger size. Been looking at the Stenopeika Hyper Camera or The Italian Camera Bellatrix these look miles ahead from the intrepid 8x10 and was wondering if anybody has shot them or got any ideas about either of them? The stenopeika uses magnets to hold the bellows in place which worrys me but apparently he has never had a problem or complaint and I havent heard of anyone using the bellatrix camera. Or does anyone have any recommendations for other 8x10 cameras looking for under £1000 and based within england or europe

Links to both camera
    https://www.stenopeika.com/prodotto/...8x10-advanced/
    https://www.theitaliancamera.com/pro...ix-8x10-camera

Re: First 8x10 - Stenopeika or The Italian Camera

Quote Originally Posted by Josh C View Post
    Hey

Im looking in investing in my first 8x10 camera, been shooting 5x4 for a while now and would like to jump to a bigger size. Been looking at the Stenopeika Hyper Camera or The Italian Camera Bellatrix these look miles ahead from the intrepid 8x10 and was wondering if anybody has shot them or got any ideas about either of them? The stenopeika uses magnets to hold the bellows in place which worrys me but apparently he has never had a problem or complaint and I havent heard of anyone using the bellatrix camera. Or does anyone have any recommendations for other 8x10 cameras looking for under £1000 and based within england or europe

Links to both camera
    https://www.stenopeika.com/prodotto/...8x10-advanced/
    https://www.theitaliancamera.com/pro...ix-8x10-camera
    Why does the magnets worry you?

Magnets, provided they are well distributed, might just be a touch of brilliant design.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredrick View Post
    Why does the magnets worry you?
    Just unsure how well they will hold and be light tight

I was looking too and Stenopeika seem a much better construction than Gibellini Bellatrix. Bellatrix is made out of plastic material using 3D printing, while Stenopeika is wood and steel.
    I saw a movie on Youtube where an 8x10 Bellatrix was shown and lot of light leaks on both bellows and ground glass frame, unstable, very shaking, etc. The look and design is good, but on the field seem not the right choice. I did not see anyone using & showing a Stenopeika, but at first sight seem a better choice. I was contacting them, but not very responsive and avoiding to answer one of my question.

Look here: seem not exactly same model, but maybe is an older version of the existing 8x10
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TqhyPCvySs

I’m surprised you did not mention the Intrepid, one of the cheapest of all and based in the UK, Brighton, probably the lightest too. Price seems to vary also with maximum extension. The Chamonix Alpine is quite lightweight too, but costs about 6x more and has a maximum extension of 85cm, where the cheap group has around 55cm

Drew Wiley

I'd be a bit concerned about the basic plywood involved. It does appear to be true multi-ply veneer core. But how effectively it's sealed is another question. The advanced composite ply like Chamonix now uses is distinctly superior. It's also hard to tell from a mere picture how stable the front standard risers really are - the actual stiffness of the alloy.

I'd seriously consider a used Burke & James Commercial view camera. A wooden flat bed view. They fold up actually quite compactly and offer a 29" max bellows extension. This was my first 8x10 and spent many years hiking up gorges in the Finger Lakes region of New York. After that explored the Berkshire Hills in Massachusetts. Camera, holders, etc easily fit inside a surplus backpack.The camera never failed me. Years later found one at a garage sale in cosmetically very poor condition for just a few dollars. Found a website that totally covered restoring the camera. Stripped the gray paint and stained the beautiful wood. Metal cleaned up amazing well with very fine steel wool. Bellows was amazingly free of pinholes. Camera looked great and worked great for the person I sold it to for well under $100.

I suggest watching this well done video review of the Intrepid 8X10 by Ben Horne.

He points out flaws and good parts. No matter which camera you choose, this will help any decision.

There are 3 sections that run as one youtube.

I wish every new camera had this sort of review.

Ben Horne's website is also worth a look, he shoots 8X10 color, shows them, also for sale.

I have no connection with Intrepid or Ben Horne.
    Tin Can

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

It is interesting that some of the guys who recorded video reviewing the Intrepid 8x10 are not using it, except for Justin Lowery. I purchased the Intrepid 4x5 Mk II and I liked it because of the light weight. I ordered an 8x10 also from Intrepid, I expect to be better than the Mk I. In the meantime, I got a Chamonix 45F2, which I think it is just perfect. However, I still think the Intrepid is fine, I work with it in a more intuitive way. I have seen the Stenopeika and I really like it. I love the idea of using magnets, rather than clips or nails that may get lose in the future. But definitely, the 8x10 Chamonix looks pretty good.
    "I have never in my life made music for money or fame. God walks out of the room when you are thinking about money." -- Quincy Jones