Thread: Deardorff Rear standard stability question // help

Deardorff Rear standard stability question // help

My photos don't always appear as sharp as I think they should be.
    I had a suspicion that the focusing was not staying put.

The other day when I was out shooting I looked at the ground glass after the exposure had been taken
    & saw clearly the image focus was off a tad.

Any suggestions on getting things more stable?

Thanks in advance!

Serge

FYI: not sure if this is pertinent, but the camera is an older 5x7 Deardorff
    (dates from around the late 20's)
    the back standard does move around a bit if nudged, but goes back to center I believe.

Eric Woodbury

Re: Deardorff Rear standard stability question // help

Set up your camera and give it a careful once over. Look for loose things. If very old and worn, look for sloppy bearing points.

I had crappy focus with my Deardorff 5x7. All the time. It was in the back. The glass was way out of registration with the plane of the film holder. And it wasn't even; the back was made wrong and one corner was over 0.030" out of plane. I had it re-machined to the proper thickness. In my case, there was too much, so easy to machine away.

I dunno . . . It seems to me that Deardorffs have play in their movements. If one's careful, it's probably not an issue.

You didn't mention what lens you were using. I had an 8x10 Deardorff that was particularly tight. It was in beautiful condition, so I doubt that it had been used that much. But at long extension, it seemed to have kind of a spring board (or diving board) effect on the front and rear standards. I sold it primarily for that reason and now have a Sinar rail 8x1o that actually weighs less than my Deardorff. More stable and flexible. I like it quite a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    Set up your camera and give it a careful once over. Look for loose things. If very old and worn, look for sloppy bearing points.

I had crappy focus with my Deardorff 5x7. All the time. It was in the back. The glass was way out of registration with the plane of the film holder. And it wasn't even; the back was made wrong and one corner was over 0.030" out of plane. I had it re-machined to the proper thickness. In my case, there was too much, so easy to machine away.

Did notice in the field one bolt was loose (I tried hand tightening all the bolts & found one loose) but everything appears tight.
    Thanks I will look it over carefully.
    I think I'll send it out to have a technician look it over after what you mentioned regarding the back being out of plane.
    Will report back when I get it sorted out.

Serge