Thread: Affinity photo

45-57-617

Affinity photo

All,

Has anyone used this software ? Will it handle the filesizes we can generate ?

Rgds,
    Steve

multiplex

Re: Affinity photo

Quote Originally Posted by swmcl View Post
    All,

Has anyone used this software ? Will it handle the filesizes we can generate ?

Rgds,
    Steve
    i tried it and had trouble with it
    maybe your luck will be better than mine...

What filesizes are we talking? I've reached a few hundred GB without issue. That said, however, I always seem to return to PS. I guess after nearly 20 years of using PS, the 'ole mustle memory is just the to that software.

45-57-617

I guess I need the usual 16 bits per channel and 4800 dpi on common film sizes. My latest scans are in the 4Gb range and it is popping the latest GIMP.

My ability to put up with the behaviour of Adobe and Windows is very limited. I just wish other platforms would get serious about their work. My Photoshop has blown up and I do not want my data on any cloud.

Thanks,
    Steve

Steve,

Sorry, I meant to say MB in my previous post. Yeah, I've never handled anything in the 4GB range; I think I've hit just over 1GB a few times. I shoot mostly B&W and even the scanning of 8x10 film, on my modest flatbed, doesn't result in a huge file, even with edits. I have, recently, returned to the Adobe fold, but I don't store any files in the cloud and PS has been running smooth on Windows 10.

Never having used PS I decided to go with Affinity due to the one-off purchase price and no monthly subscription.
    I have used it without problem for 1.2GB b&w and 0.9GB colour 10x8" drum scans without problem.
    I have used it for HDR merging several 645 transparencies into a single 1GB Tiff file again without an issue.
    The only thing I've noticed, from what I've found so far, is that it takes a significantly longer time to process dust removal from the scan than PS which I tried during the trial month. I use the Inpainting function in Affinity and work one one spot at a time so it can become annoying.

multiplex

i tried it and had trouble with it
    maybe your luck will be better than mine...
    just to let you know my problems weren't with large file sizes
    but with using color channels for trichrome imagery.. and
    reducing file sizes like "save for web" ..
    customer service doesn't exist except as a help "forum" (crowdsourced)
    i opted for the free 10 day trial and had a question on day 1 ... tech support told me
    my question got "stuck in the pipe" so even though it was date stamped as being posted
    on day 1 it didnt' appear posted until day 8 or 9 ... when i actually called england
    and spoke with someone who was allegedly a customer service supervisor
    he was insulting, called me names and seemed to lack customer service skills &c ...
    i opted for 10$ a month and someone in customer service who isn't from the
    "abuse room skit" on the flying circus ...

The two things that drove my absolutely nuts with Affinity Photo was a) how unbelievably complicated it is to simply copy one layer mask to another layer, and 2) blend if. I guess the idea of a nearly infinitely adjustable curve might be better than the simple sliders in PS, but I could never quite pull off the same smooth transitions between layers.

I also want my images on my hard-drive. Pockets being too shallow for full PS I purchased PSE12 for my amateur needs. I find the user interface of PSE12 rather clunky, it feels dumbed down too far for me. I quit. My experiences with Affinity have so far been positive, I don't know how they do it for the money.

Don't know about Affinity, but I have worked on file sizes from 1.78gb to 34gb saved (about 20gb working file) on my MacPro using the latest OS, haven't had any issues with PS or the computer. Other than sometimes it bogs down occasionally, but I generally have a lot of stuff running at the same time.