Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any experience with the Linhof Twinshank Pro tripods (new design?)

Any experience with the Linhof Twinshank Pro tripods (new design?)

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any experience with the (new design) Linhof Twinshank Pro tripods, either with pneumatically dampened centre column or without? I'm looking for a really solid tripod for 8x10" that isn't crazy heavy, but is well designed and made. I've bought many new Linhof products over the years and also use a 3d Micro head, and would like to support them so they survive the new age!

Problem is, I can't view the tripod in person as there is no national distributor here in New Zealand. I buy all of my gear from Linhof Studio in the UK, and the price they have on the Twinshank Pro is essentially exactly the same, maybe a bit cheaper than a new Manfrotto 057 Carbon Fibre tripod bought locally. The latter is lighter but I'm more interested in rigidity and lack of vibrations in the field with wind, etc. Thinking the extra weight, leg braces etc. might pay off in that regard? I almost never extend the centre column, so that's a bit of a non-issue for me. They're both about the same height.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Tim

Re: Any experience with the Linhof Twinshank Pro tripods (new design?)

I am unaware of a new design.

I just looked at Adorama and B&H Those are direct links to all Linhof tripods they sell.

I have 3 of the old style which is exactly the same as the new style Linhof Heavy Duty 45Lb capacity. I have a wood and 2 aluminum leg.

The wood is heavier and better.. All are strong as can be and with the various addons can become real monsters.

The Linhof Dolly is huge and strong. Out of production I thinK. There are crank up columns and straight pipe extensions. The best addition is the Linhof tilt camera head and the video head with QR. I have all those and the early 50's Linhof triple 8X10 and 5X7 camera systems. I collect...

It all works well but now I can barely carry any of it.

But that's OK as my studio can handle the Linhof monsters on the dolly.

I see new prices have gone down nearly $2000.

Maybe nobody buys them anymore.
    Tin Can

Sorry I didn't read your post carefully.

I see the UK Linhof Studio has a more up to date store.

Odd how cheap they are now...
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I am unaware of a new design.

I just looked at Adorama and B&H Those are direct links to all Linhof tripods they sell.

I have 3 of the old style which is exactly the same as the new style Linhof Heavy Duty 45Lb capacity. I have a wood and 2 aluminum leg.

The wood is heavier and better.. All are strong as can be and with the various addons can become real monsters.

The Linhof Dolly is huge and strong. Out of production I thinK. There are crank up columns and straight pipe extensions. The best addition is the Linhof tilt camera head and the video head with QR. I have all those and the early 50's Linhof triple 8X10 and 5X7 camera systems. I collect...

It all works well but now I can barely carry any of it.

But that's OK as my studio can handle the Linhof monsters on the dolly.

I see new prices have gone down nearly $2000.

Maybe nobody buys them anymore.
    You are confusing models!

He is asking about the Twin Shank Pro which is the largest of what was the Lt Wt Series.

You are talking about the Heavy Duty Pro which is the heaviest of there bigger tripods.

They are both still current so he can go to the Linhof factory site and get info.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    You are confusing models!

He is asking about the Twin Shank Pro which is the largest of what was the Lt Wt Series.

You are talking about the Heavy Duty Pro which is the heaviest of there bigger tripods.

They are both still current so he can go to the Linhof factory site and get info.
    Yes, I now realize that.

Thanks for the polite correction.

I never used a Twin Shank Lt Wt, but I will let my comments ride.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Yes, I now realize that.

Thanks for the polite correction.

I never used a Twin Shank Lt Wt, but I will let my comments ride.
    go for the twinshank. Extremely stable but lightweight.

Thanks all for the replies.

Thanks Jim for the endorsement. I'm wanting to use it with my 8x10" camera, and you think it's stable enough for this? Do you use one yourself? I like to shoot even in the wind–not hurricane force winds of course, but I do like to capture movement in trees etc from time to time. My carbon fibre Manfrotto (a lightweight 055CX3) was perfect for the Linhof Techno, but has proven itself next to useless with the 8x10" camera. With the Linhof Twinshank (which Bob calls the Lt Wt / lightweight, all be it being a good 1.2kg heavier than my current Manfrotto,) I'll be using it with my 3d Micro head. I like the twinshank design and leg braces, as it seems like this would help sure things up vibration wise.

Thanks again,

Tim

I’ve figured out that the tripod stands at 1.35m tall without the center column extended, but am yet to hear popular opinion on its rigidity and sturdiness with regards to use with 8x10”. Linhof Studio in UK (great experience dealing with them) say that It’d be great if I can live with the basic height and not extend the column much if at all.

Any other opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim V View Post
    I’ve figured out that the tripod stands at 1.35m tall without the center column extended, but am yet to hear popular opinion on its rigidity and sturdiness with regards to use with 8x10”. Linhof Studio in UK (great experience dealing with them) say that It’d be great if I can live with the basic height and not extend the column much if at all.

Any other opinions?
    It’s more then stable enough but you can always add the small geared column if you can find one.

Awesome, thanks for the extra recommendation, Bob. I see one in my future... Christmas is coming...