Thread: Ok I might have gone overboard with my betterscanning holder

Ok I might have gone overboard with my betterscanning holder

Replaced the nylon screws with stainless steel ones with nylon tip and once I found my optimum focus height, I then used a dial gauge to be sure the scan glass holder was perfectly level. Next I will make a 4x5 focus target and optimize the focus distance. Currently it us approximately 0.125 in from scanner glass to top of tabs the anr glass sits on. Another thought I had was to replace the screws wirh 3/16 x 100 dcrews for super fine adjustments. Thats 100 threads per in as opposed to 32 threads per in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 215726A1-AD4C-4991-A9FF-4E823EE245C9.jpg   5F590AB1-C8B9-4482-AF76-4D66E18EA59F.jpg  

Re: Ok I might have gone overboard with my betterscanning holder

I am gonna tweak the focus, once I get a target to do so, I have something may work, but won't know till I try it. Otherwise, have to order a target.

I like the idea of replacing those fiddly nylon screws; may do that with mine. Sounds like you're putting much more precision into the height adjustment than I...I just used a sharp, well exposed 4x5 negative making many scans at slightly different heights, then compared at 100% in PS. Once I found the optimum height, I turned back the screws to zero, then out to the height needed. Since I use my flatbed scanner only for work prints to live with for awhile, it's close enough for me. If I find I have an exceptional image, I'll send out for a drum scan.

When I have the height set properly, I get very sharp images. I think the only thing that it falls a tad short on is super dark areas (really dense areas of negative) Sometimes they just come out black (very small details) but when I view on light table, I can make out detail. Too bad Vuescan and other scanning software does not allow for local adjustment to allow that detail to come thru. I've tried the multi-exposure, but it doesn't seem to really work. With my scanner, I get images I would not hesitate to print at 32x40 and larger like huge panos or portraits, etc.

The nylon screws do not have good fit so they wiggle and are easily knocked out of position. I was using thread tape on them to get a tighter fit of the nylon fasteners and that worked really well.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply my scans weren't sharp; they are sharp enough for any size print I could generate at home. And, if scanning 8x10 film, well...output size is not a problem. But, as you said, it's difficult to impossible (at least, with my old flatbed scanner) to pull good detail out of dense shadow areas. I run Silverfast Ai 8 and have tried all the tricks, but it's still not there. A drum scan can easily handle the dynamic range. But, at what cost? I've got to really like an image to pay for a drum scan. There is a guy over in CA that provides a scanning service at very reasonable prices. He uses a Hasselblad Imacon 848 Flextight scanner and can handle everything up to 4x5. Haven't tried him, yet, but I plan to sometime soon.

I know. You didn't infer anything wrong. So, all good. I was just saying for the cost of a drum scanner or getting drum scans the V850 does great. I bet there is a way to pull out shadow detail, just have t figured it out. Template e Camerea can do drum scans so I kight try them on a difficult negative and have it scanned at same dpi as I do with my Epson at 4200. Would be a way of direct comparison. Downside is the prices they charge are a rip off. The machine doesn't care what resolution it is told to scan at. Same cost whether 1dpi or 4200dpi.