Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Traveling close to home.

Re: Traveling close to home.

Randy, thanks for posting the link to the Pine Barrens. Never heard of it before. It looks like most of the middle and south Georgia wildlife management / park areas, except a bit more uniform and less "messy." I am sure there's some difference in pine variety (long-leaf vs. loblolly vs. slash, etc. I'll have to remember that next time I'm up in those parts...was in NJ early last year. I bet in cloudy light and with an N+1 dev one could make some interesting images.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Nice studies of the Pine Barrens, Joe, and other areas on your website.

Thanks, Alan. Close to you, or are you up north? I hope to get back to that part of the State some time, it is so much different from here.
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com

Central in Middlesex. Flat farmland around here. North is prettier with some higher elevations. Of course, getting into NYS is better with the Adirondacks, Catskills, etc.

Les

When I was younger I kept riding near pine forest on the way to Whiting, NJ (from Toms River). Wondering if much of that is still left intact, or it looks likes the parkway, where one thinks is in the woods, but when you fly out of Newark it appears that the cement is the predominant factor....all around.

Les

In the Tom Brown Jr books he wrote the biggest danger in the Pine Barrens are wild dog packs.

He claimed he was trapped up a tree for 3 days until they gave up. He also claimed he touched a western usa bear and the bear chased him around his jeep for many hours.

Be careful out there.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    When I was younger I kept riding near pine forest on the way to Whiting, NJ (from Toms River). Wondering if much of that is still left intact, or it looks likes the parkway, where one thinks is in the woods, but when you fly out of Newark it appears that the cement is the predominant factor....all around.

Les
    Happy to report that it is still intact and in good condition. Much of the Cedar Creek watershed is protected land now.
    Where are we going?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    In the Tom Brown Jr books he wrote the biggest danger in the Pine Barrens are wild dog packs.

He claimed he was trapped up a tree for 3 days until they gave up. He also claimed he touched a western usa bear and the bear chased him around his jeep for many hours.

Be careful out there.
    I've heard of Tom Brown Jr. but never read any of his books. He has the reputation among some as being sort of the Carlos Castaneda of the Pinelands. Make of that what you wiill ;-)

I haven't heard any reports of wild dog packs in the last 20 years or so, but there are coyotes, although they tend to be solitary and rather shy (except for the ones
    on the Acme Manufacturing mailing list). The bugs are a much bigger threat in the warmer weather: bloodsucking flies, deer ticks carrying Lyme, and chiggers. I've gotten
    some righteous doses of the latter in the past, not fun at all. In DEET we trust.
    Where are we going?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe O'Hara View Post
    I've heard of Tom Brown Jr. but never read any of his books. He has the reputation among some as being sort of the Carlos Castaneda of the Pinelands. Make of that what you wiill ;-)

I haven't heard any reports of wild dog packs in the last 20 years or so, but there are coyotes, although they tend to be solitary and rather shy (except for the ones
    on the Acme Manufacturing mailing list). The bugs are a much bigger threat in the warmer weather: bloodsucking flies, deer ticks carrying Lyme, and chiggers. I've gotten
    some righteous doses of the latter in the past, not fun at all. In DEET we trust.
    I use to wear permethrin impregnated clothes in the woods. I never had a tick on me when I did. The clothes can be washed 50-70 times while maintaining their protection. This is different than the canned permethrin that you spray that's only good for 2 weeks and two washings. I would wear socks, pants, shirts, even a hat all impregnated. I'd pull the socks over the pants leg. Kind of geeky, but who needs Lyme.You can track down all the clothes here.
    https://www.insectshield.com/Brand-Partners.aspx

I have known of this type clothing.

I will get some for next season.

Good tip!

Now how about some snake boots...

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I use to wear permethrin impregnated clothes in the woods. I never had a tick on me when I did. The clothes can be washed 50-70 times while maintaining their protection. This is different than the canned permethrin that you spray that's only good for 2 weeks and two washings. I would wear socks, pants, shirts, even a hat all impregnated. I'd pull the socks over the pants leg. Kind of geeky, but who needs Lyme.You can track down all the clothes here.
    https://www.insectshield.com/Brand-Partners.aspx
    Tin Can