Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: International Air Travel Overhead Bin Size/Weight?

  1. #21

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    180

    Re: International Air Travel Overhead Bin Size/Weight?

    Aside from the dimensions of the overhead baggage some airlines also have a ridiculous weight limit. I flew Lufthansa to Frankfurt from HK and was told my Lowepro containing two Rollei TLRs, film and a laptop was 2 pounds over their 8kg limit. I ended up ditching my Lowepro at the airport for a lightweight backpack from one of the airport luggage shops.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Stockton, California
    Posts
    879

    Re: International Air Travel Overhead Bin Size/Weight?

    Plenty of good responses but I'll add my experience.

    My travel bag is the 22x14x9 category and when you take wheels and handle in account more like 23.5" high. Fits on Boeing wheels in, Airbus is wheels out.

    Fully packed it is 45-50lbs and holds my Phase One and a Nikon DSLR and lenses and accessories.

    I'm a 1.9 million miler on United and I get to board early. That is key to find the right spot.

    Equally important is to make it look like the bag doesn't weight more than 20 lbs or you get in trouble on Lufthansa and a few other airlines. Lufthansa in SF always pulls my bag out (they are trained in recognizing camera bags at the gate) and I often have to negotiate with gate personnel to get the bag on board. Never failed but it has become part of the process.

    All other accessories go in a backpack under the seat in front of me. Tripod, 4x5 and film has a space in my checked luggage.

    YMMV

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,122

    Re: International Air Travel Overhead Bin Size/Weight?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amedeus View Post
    Tripod, 4x5 and film has a space in my checked luggage.
    YMMV
    An informative post, but the sentence I copied caught my eye. We have had many threads/discussions on taking film on planes, and the debate was between hand inspection versus simply taking film in your scanned carry-on pack. The general opinion was that checked luggage gets stronger x-rays and was a no-no for film. I take it your experience differs?

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Stockton, California
    Posts
    879

    Re: International Air Travel Overhead Bin Size/Weight?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    An informative post, but the sentence I copied caught my eye. We have had many threads/discussions on taking film on planes, and the debate was between hand inspection versus simply taking film in your scanned carry-on pack. The general opinion was that checked luggage gets stronger x-rays and was a no-no for film. I take it your experience differs?
    I'm aware of this and in general agree but my film is max 100 ISO. On my last trip I flew SFO - Narita - Singapore - ferry to Indonesia with X-ray scan - Singapore - Frankfurt - Marrakesh with X-Ray on arrival and questioning why I had so much equipment with me, one camera should be plenty - Frankfurt - SFO.

    10 or 11 scans, hard to be sure.

    No issue with the film or Fuji Instant.

    Only time I had an issue is when Polaroid 803 was shipped from Ukraine to California. 5 boxes had clearly diagonal stripes over them from a hard X-ray scan. ISO 800, lesson learned the hard way.

    YMMV,

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    32

    Re: International Air Travel Overhead Bin Size/Weight?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amedeus View Post
    I'm aware of this and in general agree but my film is max 100 ISO. On my last trip I flew SFO - Narita - Singapore - ferry to Indonesia with X-ray scan - Singapore - Frankfurt - Marrakesh with X-Ray on arrival and questioning why I had so much equipment with me, one camera should be plenty - Frankfurt - SFO.

    10 or 11 scans, hard to be sure.

    No issue with the film or Fuji Instant.

    Only time I had an issue is when Polaroid 803 was shipped from Ukraine to California. 5 boxes had clearly diagonal stripes over them from a hard X-ray scan. ISO 800, lesson learned the hard way.

    YMMV,
    Totally off topic, but what are you shooting the Fuji instant with?

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Stockton, California
    Posts
    879

    Re: International Air Travel Overhead Bin Size/Weight?

    Quote Originally Posted by aaronnate View Post
    Totally off topic, but what are you shooting the Fuji instant with?
    On this trip it was a Wista 4x5 rangefinder camera but I also use 4x5 pacemaker and a Graflex D series

Similar Threads

  1. Rodinal for international travel
    By flycatcher in forum Location & Travel
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 24-Apr-2012, 13:33
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 18-Mar-2010, 10:29
  3. Weight and size of a box of 50 sheets of 4x5?
    By Athiril in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Oct-2009, 22:52
  4. Packing for international travel help
    By NoBob in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 13-Jun-2009, 15:03
  5. Size and Weight Of Wisner 8x20
    By Bruce E. Rathbun in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 6-Dec-2004, 04:34

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •