Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: First lens for 4x5

Re: First lens for 4x5

135mm is my most used lens. I tend to go wider than normal. 65,90,135,180 (convertible 315mm ), 250 are what I carry usually, but also have 150 and 210 that I like equally.
    An accurate shutter is just as important - or at least know its inaccuracies.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

I made a 4x5 viewing frame out of an old cardboard box and spent a few hours wandering around town with it today, along with the rail of the camera I just purchased off of eBay (which has an engraved scale in cm on it).

Basically I just looked for interesting subjects that would normally be something I might try to photograph, framed them with the viewing frame while holding the rail against my cheek and measured the distance. Tried close ups, distance, landscape, buildings, etc.

Most of the time I ended up at 18cm, the next most often was 21cm. The others were mostly outliers, several 9cm, a few 12-13, and several 28-30cm. I hit 15cm twice.

That tells me I should start with a 180mm ideally, possibly a 210mm. Whichever I can find cheapest and first. I'll stick with that for a while and really get to know it well, before getting a second focal length. That will also provide me with enough experience to know exactly what situations I'm unable to shoot with the lens I have and what focal length would be the best addition to expand my range to cover them.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Update - found a great deal on a used 210mm Rodenstock and pulled the trigger on it.

I'm off to the races!