Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First lens for 4x5

Re: First lens for 4x5

My favorite lens for 4x5 was an old Ektar f/7.7 203mm. It was inexpensive, sharp, light, and compact. It also worked well on a 5x7.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Anything with a reliable, accurate shutter between 135mm and 240mm. Be open to letting your vision do some growing. If you find you take to large format, you'll get (at least) another lens or two anyways.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Les

Agree w/Mark. Just saw 150mm Apo Ronar on the 'bay (and several 240mm too) which could also fit the bill. Granted, it may not have the bokeh that one might wish for, but it's a decent optic. I think everyone here recognizes that anything (mostly) below F5.6 will get expensive quick. Pls don't make me define "expensive", since the variables of use tends to be all over the map. Good luck shopping.

Les

Foamer

The other thing to remember is as you increase format size, the DoF for given lens decreases. An f5.6 lens might perform more like an f4 or even f2.8 does on your MF camera. No difference as far as shutter speed in low light of course. The DoF on an f2.8 lens on 4x5 would be razor thin to the point of being unusable, I would guess. My f5.6 lenses are often too shallow DoF on my 5x7.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Wow, thanks for all the comments and advice!

Based on what Doc, Kent and other's have said, I'll see what I can find between 180-210 and start there. I'm thinking a larger aperture (f/5.6) not because of DOF, but rather it will make it easier (initially) to focus and pay attention to the technical aspect (focus, movements, etc) on the GG, and figured that starting with a "future classic" (e.g. the Rodenstock or Schneider) would provide me with a lens I'll have and use for the rest of my photographic journey, rather than getting something I'll end up replacing sooner rather than later (although that may happen at some point too, it's fun just to try out different things).

My budget is flexible, but I'd like to keep it under $1k. I know I could get a bunch of different lenses (including an APO Sironar-N or APO Symmar) for between $2-400, but everyone keeps raving about how exceptional the Sironar S and Symmar L are, which makes me think I might as well bite the bullet and start with a great piece of glass that I'll have for the rest of my shooting career.

At my current phase in my photography, I like sharp, crisp, contrasty, modern looking photographs. So my choice to try out LF is not to make everything look like it was shot in the 1800's, but rather the larger neg and ability to use movements as part of the composition and image expression.

Bob, excellent point on the difference in rendering with a SF lens vs regular one with a filter, thanks for pointing that out.

Doc's original point is not lost on me either, and the same strategy I followed with MF. I bought one lens and lived with it for a few years and really got to know it inside and out, before going on to add a second lens, and doing the same thing all over. It really taught me a lot (and saved me a bunch of money, lol!). I'll get one lens now, use it for a while and really get to know it well before looking for another. Another advantage is that after a while, you start to notice what kind of shots you're unable to take because you don't have the right focal length. Making the next lens an easy choice (I rented a 40mm and 50mm after spending a year or two with my 110mm on 6x6, and preferred the angle of the 40mm. A few years later I added a 150mm telephoto).

Sounds like a good plan.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Just about any 210mm in a modern shutter will work just fine. You don’t need the greatest, sharpest lens made unless you want to throw money away. Most lenses are better than most photographers.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Just about any 210mm in a modern shutter will work just fine. You don’t need the greatest, sharpest lens made unless you want to throw money away. Most lenses are better than most photographers.
    Luis, “you don’t need the greatest, sharpest lens made” unless you are after the sharpest lens with the least roll off center to edge with the best color reproduction, the least chromatic abberation and the least distortion!

Bob most lenses are better than most photographers

Foamer

You could well find you photo different things or make different compositions with 4x5 than what you did previously. Happened to me. When starting a new format I have a "road map" in mind for lenses. My antique lenses are 100/150/240mm; modern ones are 90mm f4.5 Nikon, 135mm f5.6 Rodenstock, 180mm f5.6 Fuji, 300mm f9 Nikon. Don't discount Nikon et Fuji as they are excellent.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!