Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Ever felt in the minority?

Re: Ever felt in the minority?

I know that digital will blow out highlights just as well as slide film. I still think negative film has the edge over digital in dynamic range. But in practice the low light capabilities of digital is quite amazing.

Still here's the rub. A kid can for less than the cost of an Apple phone can buy a 4x5 camera, enlarger every bit of darkroom sundries. And, if he or she has the talent, can produce silver gelatin prints, on fiber base paper, that are worthy of the finest museums.

multiplex

i was watching videos of moriyama daido and he looks like he currently uses a
    little digital point and shoot .. and seems to be doing quite well w/o the zs ..
    different coats for different boats.

I have just decided to not discuss this with my friends and when they talk about some new bs about digital being better than anything else, I will just nod my head up and down in agreement like an obedient Pavlovian dog.

I'd change friends. Friends should be supportive. Used to have a friend who shot film then switched to digital and became anti film. Got tired of him calling me a loser on line because I still use film. Why would I want to hang around with someone like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Got tired of him calling me a loser on line because I still use film. Why would I want to hang around with someone like that?
    Correct! The same mindfulness also requires us to not be film snobs that speak poorly of those practicing photography with digital.

I figure it isn't worth giving up friends. They have their viewpoints and I won't change that. So as lo g as they are haply with their choices good for them. Now if they start insulting me, it's a different story.

Neither film nor digital is the answer to everything. Both have strengths and weaknesses. Combining them together expands the possibilities
    Zone system has almost no value even for film photography if the end result is digital printing. Scanners can easily chew through any negative density, so no need to bother with +- development.
    Same for a dedicated light meter. A digicam is a way to go as it instantly shows brightness ranges and their distribution in a scene, plus much more

What I've learned talking to both film and digital, young and old, 35mm up to ULF photographers, is that everything I am doing is wrong and they are the most important expert in not only how but what to photograph.

Ignore the bullshit.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

+1.
    Tin Can

All that really matters is the image.

I find that most of the photographers who put down other photographers are usually not very good themselves. If they are good, well there are always closed minded people out there. I've found that being closed minded stunts your growth as a photographer. I think most if not all of us have been guilty of it at one time or another. I try to be open minded. You learn more that way.