Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Large Format B&W Film Characteristics?

Re: Large Format B&W Film Characteristics?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    D76 has its own idiosyncrasy, because you either have to standardize upon using it freshly mixed, or let it reach equilibrium in sealed bottles for about a week until it expires,
    I don't know what Wiley means by expired, but my experience has shown that it is best to let D-76 sit for 24 hours after making it, otherwise it is unpredictably over active.

Drew Wiley

Stick to Tri-X ? Are you Amish, Jac ? As per 76, it stabilizes onto a plateau of activity for several months if the undiluted developer is kepty in full tight glass bottles. I'd divvy it up into little 8 oz bottles, then dilute these 1:1 just before use. I don't
    care whether the stabilization takes 24 or 48 hours, or whatever. I'd play it safe and wait a week. I once used it as a cheap mask developer, and it had to be VERY predictable in those instances, densitometer checked. Formulary sells a stabilized
    version of 76 which doesn't have this issue. But I rarely use 76 anymore, and have switched to a low-contrast personal tweak of HC110 for mask development. For general photography, I mostly use pyro. And when I want to replicate the look of Tri-X,
    some birdshot in a 410 shotgun, aimed at any of the other sheet films, does a nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by LFLarry View Post
    It doesn't appear to me that the manufacturers really do much in the way of describing the visual characteristics of their films, unless I am missing something.
    Unless you are doing reversal processing, the films produce a negative. Not many people are interested in the visual characteristics of that; it is just an intermediate.

Personally I use any name-brand fresh film. I can't say that I see much difference between then when they are each exposed and processed to give the same results.

Stick to Tri-X ? Are you Amish, Jac ?
    Yah, sure. I'm an Amish underground agent communicating to the Internet through our electrified barbed wire fence.

Large Format B&W Film Characteristics?

From my bunker in Lancaster, PA I can say that you should consider two film stocks to concentrate on in the long term to improve your craft ..... a fine grain low speed option asa 100 and a medium grain higher speed option say asa 400 or so. When shooting landscape the higher speed can be very important. Since offerings continue to decline I’d go with Ilford which I hope is with us for the next 10 years at least and the price isn’t terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by angusparker; 19-Oct-2018 at 20:52.

Drew Wiley

Those occasional cases I do shoot Tri-X, it's in roll film, so the greater degree of enlargement will accentuate the peppery grain. It's a slightly different emulsion and speed than Tri-X sheet film; but in large format work, I don't generally like conspicuous grain, at least in my own images. But don't snicker about my comment. I've recently seen an oid Amish couple in traditional dress with the husband wearing a thousand buck Apple Smartwatch, and the wife wearing neon-glow name-brand sneakers. The rules differ group to group. Some forbid electric power tools, but allow diesel compressors running air tools,
    ironically to build buggies.

Good info Drew, thank you. I am using 4x5 format, so the cost is very reasonable.

Well, those are some of the most popular choices of sheet film, widely available, yet with distinct differences. I don't know your format. HP5 and Tri-X will come out grainy on 4X5 with D76 on moderate enlargements, less so with 8x10 film. You might or might not like the look. The others are finer grained. The two T-Max options will handle a greater range of contrast, especially in terms of crisp shadow separation, than the Ilford choices, but are a bit fussier in terms of correct exposure. D76 has its own idiosyncrasy, because you either have to standardize upon using it freshly mixed, or let it reach equilibrium in sealed bottles for about a week until it expires, or you'll get inconsistent results. These different films also have different filter factors. They are all panchromatic, but slightly differ in green and blue sensitivity, enough to warrant testing first with your chosen filters on affordable roll film, which will give comparable results. Again, don't overthink filters. A few, like a basic yellow, green, and red or deep orange, will go a long ways. Take it a step at a time and have fun !

Quote Originally Posted by LFLarry View Post
    Good info Drew, thank you. I am using 4x5 format, so the cost is very reasonable.
    As for filters, I would ditch the red since the contrast usually is too much. You will end up using yellow and medium orange the most. I use a green filter much more than red especially when there is a lot of foliage around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Drew Wiley

I happen to use a 25 Red more than any other filter, even at high altitude, and never have an issue with blanked-out shadows, because I carefully spot meter shadow values. My second most used filter is a 22 deep orange. I seldom use a medium orange. Another favorite is an X1 med true green. With just these three, I can handle almost any b&w scenario. But I do own quite a variety of other filters for portraiture, archtecture, hand-held small camera shooting, and of course, color film.

Interesting point about filters. My dear friend and mentor said "If you are going to filter, filter. Don't mess around, use a 25A Red." I follow his advice with everything except X-Ray and other ortho films.