Thread: Fujinon 240A f9 for 4x5 camera

Fujinon 240A f9 for 4x5 camera

Hi all, I'm the begainner for large format camera, and now i got the problem:
    Is that Fujinon 240A f9 suitable (or may be, is that excellent) for my camera (a box MPP 4x5 camera)? I used it for taking landscape picture. If compare with another lens, Schneider G-Claron 9/270mm (of course, it is costly), which one is more suitable?
    Thanks for all !!

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

I do not have that specific lens, but I have three other process style lenses, all F9. All of them have proven excellent, but the one warning i have is at F9, focusing in low light situations can be a real pain in the butt. Daytime landscape should be fine, but if you want to shoot say an hour or two before sunset, depending on cloud cover, there's when it gets dim in the ground glass.

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Basen the recommendations of a friend, and on this site, I purchased the Funinon 240A. It became my favorite lens, because of image quality, size, weight, and filter size.

You can see a brief discssion of this lense, with links to sample images here. You will have to scroll down about half-way.

The Fuji 240A is an excellent lightweight lens for 4x5. I own a bunch of modern LF glass, and the 240A is as sharp or sharper than any of my other lenses. It is multi-coated (good if you are shooting at or near the sun) and has tremendous coverage (will cover 8x10 with some room to spare). Some would argue that the 240A is so sharp that it's not an ideal lens for portraiture, but for landscapes I'd say its ideal. It's only drawback is that it is an f/9 lens, so when focusing the ground glass will be a bit darker than if you were using an f/5.6 lens like a Rodenstock Sironar, Schneider Symmar, etc. But this is not a problem unless you are shooting in usually dark situations (in deep canyons prior to sunrise, inside dark buildings, etc.).

I would prefer the Fuji to the G-Claron since it is multi-coated (G-Claron is single coated) and probably sharper.

For all the reasons Ken has given, I love mine. Sharp as a tack and lightweight.
    Mike

It is my favorite lens. Don't know why, but the images taken with it just seem to jump off the light table.