Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Setting up for modest enlargement from 4x5 vs going larger and contact printing

Re: Setting up for modest enlargement from 4x5 vs going larger and contact printing

Thanks for your ideas, everyone!

Still going back and forth on this.
    It is becoming clear to me that if I go with the enlarging route, a foolproof solution for setting things up in good alignment is essential. I tend to lose patience when there are too many things that need adjusting and checking...

Old box form enlargers are something that I haven't thought about before. I'd probably prefer building a custom one around a modern lens, though. I have a 150mm G-Claron that might work...

The catch with moving up a format or two (5x7, 8x10) seems to be that the bigger you go, the more you get stuck with contacts and/or digital/hybrid workflow in the long run. Getting stuck with the digital part is something I'd like to avoid. My day job is computer-centric enough and being able to get from exposure to print without a computer just feels good.
    Being stuck with 8x10 contact printing doesn't sound bad at all... until you think about the weight and bulk of all the stuff that needs to be carried in the field. 5x7 would be a compromise but I'm not entirely sure about the image size for contacts. Perhaps still a little small. Too bad Whole Plate film is not commonly available...

The trouble with small prints is that the size tends to rule out compositions that rely on small details or subtle tones for their impact. Bold shapes and strong contrast works; texture, detail, not so much. I guess Kertész didn't worry too much about this - but I am no Kertész.

Re: Setting up for modest enlargement from 4x5 vs going larger and contact printing

I would go with the larger camera and make contact prints. Less equipment is needed! I use a darkroom in a box for making alternative processes that fits in a plastic bin which I can use in any kitchen which includes a darkroom tent for loading and unloading film holders and developing tanks. Your Patterson orbital is the perfect solution for 8x10.

Now if you would like to make even bigger work than 8x10 ten you should get an enlarger. You could mount it on the wall over the toilet and use removable board to hold your easel.

[QUOTE=Alan9940;1465340 Have you considered generating 8x10 digital negatives, and then contact printing them?.[/QUOTE]

FIO how is this done? Based on contest I'm assuming the suggestion starts with 4x5 film/prints.
    regards
    Tony