Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toyo-View 45 G

Re: Toyo-View 45 G

Dynatect makes beautiful bellows in the USA of all synthetic (waterproof, no cardboard) materials. They are no thicker than the Toyo originals. I have a set on my personal Robos. However they cost about three times what Rudy's cost.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dynatect bellows.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	184564

Neal,

Thanks. I sent an email to the seller I mentioned above, but no reply as of yet.

The bellows that came with the unit I purchased (chrome-body & rail) look more like, well I can't see any difference
    off-hand between those pictured above. I do not have a bag-bellows and the frame looks a lot like those pictured
    on the right. I can't exactly tell if the frame is plastic or metal, though they do feel more "plastic" . . . I tried to measure
    the inside opening last night, looked like somewhere around 15 - 15.5 cm. This camera does take the 158x158 lens
    boards, dunno if that makes a difference.

Anyway, I'll look at this more later today.
    “Good photography is not about ‘Zone Printing’ or any other Ansel Adams nonsense. It’s just about seeing. You either see, or you don’t see.”

― Elliott Erwitt

Those are 2nd generation on the right and probably what you have as silver 45G cameras came with those, the change came with the 45G2. About the glue, I don't glue the bellows to the plastic frames as Toyo did. The screws hold it tight with no light leaks. However, I do glue the front of the metal inner frame inside the last fold of the bellows with Weldwood Contact Glue. Then I use a pin to open the screw holes. When assembling, I line up with the pin (actually a large needle) and then use a very small bit on a variable speed drill to clean out the screw holes in the metal inner frame without damaging the threads. Get your fingers in there to be sure you don't drill through the next fold of the bellows. Get a screw installed in each corner and then do the rest. This is not an easy job the first time you do it, but you will pick up a valuable skill and a 45G with a good bellows is a pleasure to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Chaves View Post
    Dynatect makes beautiful bellows in the USA of all synthetic (waterproof, no cardboard) materials. They are no thicker than the Toyo originals. I have a set on my personal Robos. However they cost about three times what Rudy's cost.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dynatect bellows.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	184564
    Neal,

Upon further inspection of the frame in my possession, it is most distinctly plastic - so, second generation.

I imagine that means the bellows are the 153mm x 153mm variety?

Also, you mention the gluing of the toyo from the factory - recomendations on removing the glue? heat gun, maybe?

Thanks for the input, and I'm willing to spend a little more on the bellows -- especially if they'll hold up a little longer. I've read a post or two here about some of the
    Rudy-made bellows developing pinholes in a year (or 2) with minimal use. When requesting/ordering from Dynatect, what should I be looking for - they seem to have several options?
    “Good photography is not about ‘Zone Printing’ or any other Ansel Adams nonsense. It’s just about seeing. You either see, or you don’t see.”

― Elliott Erwitt

I think Rudy's bellows are good quality. I have a set on one of my 8X10s. They are two layers of good US-made nylon. As I said before, they are thicker than the single layer Toyo originals and have cardboard stiffeners (as do most all double layer bellows). If you want Dynatect, call and ask for Cindy, and then send them your old bellows and they will make an exact replacement. I would not invest in a Dynatect on 2nd gen frames because, if you want to move up to a newer Toyo you will have the problem with recessed lens boards. The standards on the new cameras, starting with Robos, are thinner and are designed for 3rd gen. frames. I would put a Rudy on your frames and I'm sure you will get good use from it. Then, if you really want the best, get a set of 3rd gen frames for a Dynatect. I have bought leaky bellows for the frames from ebay for about $30. Sometimes KEH has them.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Chaves View Post
    I think Rudy's bellows are good quality. I have a set on one of my 8X10s. They are two layers of good US-made nylon. As I said before, they are thicker than the single layer Toyo originals and have cardboard stiffeners (as do most all double layer bellows). If you want Dynatect, call and ask for Cindy, and then send them your old bellows and they will make an exact replacement. I would not invest in a Dynatect on 2nd gen frames because, if you want to move up to a newer Toyo you will have the problem with recessed lens boards. The standards on the new cameras, starting with Robos, are thinner and are designed for 3rd gen. frames. I would put a Rudy on your frames and I'm sure you will get good use from it. Then, if you really want the best, get a set of 3rd gen frames for a Dynatect. I have bought leaky bellows for the frames from ebay for about $30. Sometimes KEH has them.
    3rd Generation are the metal frames that take the 160x160 bellows, or more often those used on the bag-bellows? I found two sets of bellows on ebay this afternoon, was thinking of obtaining just for the frame - I will ask about the frame before buying - not sure if there's an easy way to tell (different part #, etc). Near as I can tell those frames on ebay are the 2nd Gen type - anyway.

― Elliott Erwitt

Look carefully at the second, close up photo of the frames. On the right, the 2nd gen frame has all screws at the same level inside a slotted web. On the left, the 3rd gen frame has raised sections with long screws on opposite sides and level sections with short screws on the other two sides. This is a current bag bellows, older ones can have gen 2 frames or even metal gen 1 frames. Chinese clone bag bellows often have metal gen 1 type frames. Toyo frame type is not related to accordion or bag bellows, but rather to era of manufacture.

Neal,

First, thanks for your patience here

I gotcha, with respect to the frame and screw placement. I'm just not finding any standard 420mm bellow framed products with the particular screw style you have shared.

I have seen a bag bellows offering on ebay that has the particularly noted frame style/screw placements. It's "in the box" bearing a GII label --- I get that the bag bellows are
    for wide-angle lens implementation, but it seems that we can readily remove the "bag" and replace it with whatever "bellows" style we chose. Anyway, thanks for all your input and
    assistance.

― Elliott Erwitt

Quote Originally Posted by RobertJSherman View Post
    Neal,

First, thanks for your patience here

I gotcha, with respect to the frame and screw placement. I'm just not finding any standard 420mm bellow framed products with the particular screw style you have shared.

I have seen a bag bellows offering on ebay that has the particularly noted frame style/screw placements. It's "in the box" bearing a GII label --- I get that the bag bellows are
    for wide-angle lens implementation, but it seems that we can readily remove the "bag" and replace it with whatever "bellows" style we chose. Anyway, thanks for all your input and
    assistance.
    Why not just call Mac Group and ask them?

The GII bag bellows is made of a durable synthetic material and excellent. Don't buy one of those to scrap, but rather to use. Any square bellows on 3rd gen frames can be removed and sent to Dynatect for duplication, if that's what you want. They will make the new bellows to any length you want.