Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Imacon Flextight Precision II worth it?

Re: Imacon Flextight Precision II worth it?

I uses a Precision II as well, I say if you can get it for under $500 then go for it. Specially if it has all the specific film holders you intend to use. Otherwise they can be expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Darragh View Post
    Pere, the unit that Matted is looking at has a claimed resolution of 2040 dpi for 4x5.
    Hello Mark,

Those 2040 dpi are the nominal hardware dpi, but the effective dpi mentioned in the manual ("optical dpi") is 1800 (for 4x5) because effective optical dpi value is always lower than hardware dpi.

The Hassy scanners are ideal for MF (Hassy cameras are MF...) and for 35mm, for LF the 8k pix sensor it's stretched a lot, still performing well at high densities but not being able to extract all resolution that can be there in a technically perfect LF shot. Depending on enlargement size and on the native quiality in film this may not be noticed.

1800 from 2040 is quite effective (10% loss), a V700 takes some 2400 from 4800 for 4x5 (50% loss, linear; 75% loss filesize/area), anyway the hassy is superior in the deep shadows of velvia...

Regards,
    Pere

I think there's some confusion going on here - the OP states it's a Precision II upgraded to Precision III software - not hardware. The Precision II has a max specified optical resolution of 5760 ppi, & a small number of actual resolution increments downwards from there, with 1800ppi specified in the manual for 4x5. The Precision III has the 3x8000 sensor, 6300ppi on 135, a much greater array of optical resolutions & 2040ppi specified for 4x5 (like every Imacon/ Hasselblad since). The max resolution in most tests is usually about 97%+ of the claimed headline numbers of 5760 or 6300, & the 120 & 4x5 numbers are normally dead on. The Precision II's 1800ppi should deliver a perfectly competent 24x30" at 300ppi. It's more a question of how much you want to deal with a potentially temperamental 20 year old SCSI scanner.

Most of the Imacon parts can be found with a bit of looking - specifically the drive belts & the bulbs.

More to the point, 3F files are fairly irrelevant, as are the preset film modes if you scan your film as losslessly as possible as a transparency, sample & divide out the mask & invert etc in PS. The quality difference can be quite startling.

Interneg, if a III or x5 delivers 1800 or 2040 optical dpi depends on the test method.

Scanning a 4x5 2040 dpi target with an x5 can deliver a perfectly grey image or any kind of aliasing, as you sure understand.

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    I think there's some confusion going on here - the OP states it's a Precision II upgraded to Precision III software - not hardware.
    Was it possible to upgrade the II hardware to III? The seller just claimed “Precision II upgraded to III” and I read elsewhere that this was a firmware upgrade.