Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Very light 4x5 camera with 125mm lens

Re: Very light 4x5 camera with 125mm lens

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    You can make a mod for the Travelwide to work with longer lenses. This is really lightweight.

http://www.welshruins.co.uk/travelwi...fication-125mm

https://web.archive.org/web/20180326...fication-125mm

Search google: travelwide 125mm
    While some of those conversion parts may be too rare, the links do show a way to hack a broken TW back into use.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    While some of those conversion parts may be too rare, the links do show a way to hack a broken TW back into use.
    his article is delusionable, his broken body cost him 150€ plus he had a lens laying around. What was the value of that lens plus the value of that other lens he got the shutter from? How many hours were invested?
    About is not a value for focusing or DOF.

A Crown Graphic was not a metal camera and a Hasselblad was never a folding camera.

Lastly, how did he assure that his cobbled together camera has a lens that is now properly aligned with the film?

This sounds like he now has a 45 snapshot camera and probably not an effective working tool.

I also found the Gowland was just too light for me. My solution to your problem was and is a Crown Graphic with a 135 Symar that folds up inside. Also carry a 210 R Claron and a 90 mm Angulon. Fits easily in a modest 35 shoulder bag. Yes, I could cut a couple pounds off that with a lighter camera, but then I'd lose the handheld option and rugged construction. I did add a high end ground glass to it. As noted above, the Crown is mostly mahogany.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    his article is delusionable, his broken body cost him 150€ plus he had a lens laying around. What was the value of that lens plus the value of that other lens he got the shutter from? How many hours were invested?
    About is not a value for focusing or DOF.

A Crown Graphic was not a metal camera and a Hasselblad was never a folding camera.

Lastly, how did he assure that his cobbled together camera has a lens that is now properly aligned with the film?

This sounds like he now has a 45 snapshot camera and probably not an effective working tool.
    True
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Well, the 275grs of the Travelwide allows a certain kind of LF shots that are otherwise difficult...

A 125mm lens at f/16 has the hyperfocal at 9m, and if focused at 5m then DOF is 6m deep, not a challenge to have it effectively working... and with the aid of a monopod...

I agree that the pointed mod can be done in a better way... but that example shows that with some imagination we can do powerful things.

Ok, thanks for all the ideas. Really all kinds of solutions look possible. And with the shoulder problems it might be good to start exploring them.

I must say that the Globuscope looks fabulous! Also it looks like it could be used more or less like a "normal" camera. But finding one might be not that easy. I'm not that much taken in by the monorail solutions, somehow a field/press camera looks easier to pull out of a bag, take a shot and put back. But that could be down to having no experience with them. The Century Graphics might be easy to find in the states and cheap as chips there but in europe they are far less common. A bit surprised they are wood, always took them to be heavy metal.

So, time for study now.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roberts View Post
    Stripped down Crown Graphic with 127mm Ektar. Mine weighs 3lbs, can be hand held, and the investment is so low I don’t worry about exposure to the elements. Fits in a lunch cooler bag with shoulder strap.

Add a Slik Sprint travel tripod for a light weight companion for low light conditions.
    +1 on this one. I have this very camera and used it for years. Easy to carry, sets up quickly, works great.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

It's no longer made, and if available used might not be below 2000 euro, but the Ebony SW45 would do the job very nicely. 46-190mm min/max bellows extension, 1.5kg, all front movements, rear rise, non-folding. There are a couple on ebay right now from Japan for around $2K USD. I have the "big brother" 45SU and it works really well with my Fuji 125/5.6.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

Drew Wiley

Ebony wouldn't handhold well without modification, like adding an optical finder. Technical cameras made by Wista, Horseman, Linhof Technika, as well as older Graphic press cameras were made for this kind of dual usage. I'm a long lens addict, so don't personally use any of them.

Another solution might be a Polaroid converted hand held 4x5 with coupled rangefinder to your lens of choice, there are several sources for the conversion and I am sure there are a few listed on the big auction site.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    Got some money coming along and I was looking into a (very) light 4x5 camera with a 125mm lens

So if I could find something low weight, sturdy, weather resistant that could fit a 125mm or 135mm (quasi) permanently and available south of 2000 euro maybe I'd take it out more.