Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Very light 4x5 camera with 125mm lens

Re: Very light 4x5 camera with 125mm lens

For me it's a Chamonix 4x5 with a 5 1/4 inch f/6.8 Dagor. My Chamonix is a 45N-2. Seriously would consider a 45Hs-1 with a 3 5/8 inch f/8 Goerz WA Dagor. If I ever come across a 3 5/8 inch f/8 Dagor at a reasonable price, will probably go with that combo. Have read that a "Golden" 3 5/8 inch Dagor was made, but have never seen one for sale and my B&J catalogues list 2 3/8" and 6" Golden Dagors but no focal lengths in-between.

Have you considered a crown/speed graphic? They can be easily found in your price range in excellent condition, and although they are old they are definitely built to last.

While they may not be as light as a 35mm or MF camera I can carry mine around all day with no issues. They also give you the option to shoot from the ground glass or handheld via the rangefinder, which is something I love. And with the focal plane shutter the speed graphic allows for both leaf shutter lenses and barrel lenses. Im not sure about the size of your Fuji lens, but with the Kodak Ektar 127mm 4.7 it folds up quite compact enough to fit in a backpack or messenger bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    Got some money coming along and I was looking into a (very) light 4x5 camera with a 125mm lens. Why? Well recently I spend a long weekend in Holland and had the Wista and 3 lenses along. It never left the hotel room. Just because much wind, showers and the weight.

So if I could find something low weight, sturdy, weather resistant that could fit a 125mm or 135mm (quasi) permanently and available south of 2000 euro maybe I'd take it out more.

Any ideas? I'm very happy with my Fujinon CM W 125mm but the size makes it impossible to leave on a camera.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

A Crown Graphic or Busch Pressman only weighs FIVE POUNDS, and since you can hand-hold it you won't have to carry a big, heavy tripod.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

While searching the net for the cameras mentioned and reading about them I crossed also a few that were not mentioned: Dayi, Gaoersi and Fotoman all three have something similar. They look like a handheld 4x5 with only shift. Having some shift is just what I need (simple landscape/cityscape). Also in common is very little info about them. Does someone have comments/advice on those?
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Havoc, you'll need rise more than shift. Shift (horizontal decentering movement) can't make the foreground disappear or let you shoot tall subjects without getting converging verticals. Rise (vertical decentering movement) can do both.

You're correct, sorry for mixing up. Those cameras provide modest rise/fall.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

I hope you show and tell when you obtain this item.

We wait.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    For me it's a Chamonix 4x5 with a 5 1/4 inch f/6.8 Dagor. My Chamonix is a 45N-2. Seriously would consider a 45Hs-1 with a 3 5/8 inch f/8 Goerz WA Dagor. If I ever come across a 3 5/8 inch f/8 Dagor at a reasonable price, will probably go with that combo. Have read that a "Golden" 3 5/8 inch Dagor was made, but have never seen one for sale and my B&J catalogues list 2 3/8" and 6" Golden Dagors but no focal lengths in-between.
    Don’t waste your money on a Golden WA Dagor. I have an ancient 6.5” WA Dagor I had mounted in a Copal 1 which is one of my favorite lenses.

My comment would be don't bother with any of those. They are all imposters that try to replicate the Cambo Wide. If you want a camera like that, just get the Cambo Wide to start with (the earlier version, not the current DS models, though those are ok too but more digital-oriented). It comes with options for 47 to 150mm lenses, with the appropriate cones/helicals/lenses.

-Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    While searching the net for the cameras mentioned and reading about them I crossed also a few that were not mentioned: Dayi, Gaoersi and Fotoman all three have something similar. They look like a handheld 4x5 with only shift. Having some shift is just what I need (simple landscape/cityscape). Also in common is very little info about them. Does someone have comments/advice on those?