Thread: Developing slide film

Developing slide film

I reused my developer per the instructions adding 4% to base time each time I reused it every 4 sheets of 4x5. The second to last batch came out pinkish and thin in the sky where there were dark clouds and light clouds. The ground seems exposed well if not a bit over exposed.

The instructions say developer is good for 16 sheets at 500ml. The initial timebis 6min 30 sec. The 2nd to last batch was at 7min 20sec.

The last two slides I developed of same scene and exposure tumes, etc, I developed for 8 min and they appear to have turned out properly.

My guess is the 2nd to last batch didn't develop long enough. Probably should have added a minute and then an additional minute for the last two to be safe.

If interested, I will post up tomorrow. I might be able to save them with ps.

Re: Developing slide film

ThevmorevI look atbit the more it looks over exposed. Definitely shows slide film has crap for latitude over color reversal and bw film. As I have shots of same thing with different films at same time. Hmmm. Too bad no method to increase slide latitude or is there.

Re: Developing slide film

I have developed quite a bit of Provia. I have always followed specs for reusing and extending the time as you describe. I have found that only the first batch turns out completely well to my liking and the subsequent batch color is always a bit off. Sometimes it’s only a little off under a Loupe and light box but seems to be magnified and hard to deal with once scanned. It got to the point where I used the last few boxes of E-6 chemicals as one shot and then switched to using a lab for quality control. Way too expensive for me to keep doing one shot. Though I swear they send me back scratched film a lot so it seems I can’t win.