Thread: Vail

Vail

My son got a job as a lift operator this Winter in Vail and I'll probably go for a visit or two.
    Any shooting location suggestions?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Vail

Everywhere
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

Not trying to be flip’ but Vail is smack in the middle of the Colorado Rockies. You shouldn’t have any trouble finding inspiration.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

Do or do not. There is no try.

There are nice views from the ridge between the top of the Avanti lift and where it drops into the tree on the way to Eagle's Nest. Also from Wildwood looking towards the Mountain of the Holy Cross and in the back. There's a long lift (I forget the name) on the way to Belle's Camp, and from the "Camp" itself. I don't carry LF while skiing there, the last few years I've used a 6x6 folder carried in a small chest pack. Using an 6x6 with a 75mm lens for landscapes there doesn't work well for me because the place is so big, I'm better off with smaller-scale stuff. This year I bought a slightly larger chest pack and may try carrying my Mamiya 7, which will give me the option of a longer lens (150mm).

Last winter I went snowshoeing over at Meadow Mountain near Minturn, which is a few miles west of Vail. That was a nice area and the 6x6 seemed better suited for what I see. I've recently started working on a couple of images from that day, again with the MF folder. The jury's still out on these.

I'll be out there between 1-8 February 2019, maybe we can meet up.

I've been at Beaver Creek last year, very close to Vail. Amazing places, I skied with the camera around my neck and took some nice pictures from the top of the mountain. There are infinite picture opportunities, if you have mobility and don't fall

Live in Denver and drove through Vail yesterday on my way back from hunting. My suggestion is to take the road just West of Vail South to Redcliff and on to Leadville. You will go over Tennessee Pass and there are a number of creeks and vistas that are quite interesting to shoot. If you want to really get out of the box and since the white stuff will keep you near the plowed roads, rent a snow machine and traverse Shrine Pass that goes from Vail Pass East of Vail to Redcliff on the other end. Again, great vistas to photograph. You just have to bring baskets for the end of your tripod legs for the snow which will be likely be both fluffy and deep. Last piece of advice is to bring appropriate boots, jackets, hats, gloves and let your son know precisely where you are going and when you will be back. Also a high level sun screen is advised as you are high in the mountains and the UV's will bake you like a batch of cookies if you are not careful. Enjoy!

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scheinfluger_77 View Post
    Not trying to be flip’ but Vail is smack in the middle of the Colorado Rockies. You shouldn’t have any trouble finding inspiration.
    10.0*1099
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Moab. Four hours from Vail. Stop for fish tacos at Slope and Hatch in Glenwood Springs.
    The Colorado National Monument in Grand Junction is also worth exploring, as well as the Book Cliffs in Palisade.
    My 2 cents. But l’m not a skier.
    Last edited by Michael Roberts; 21-Oct-2018 at 10:45.